Thread: how to tune

+1

how to tune

some people say to tune by rpm, others by plug color, some by sound...can someone tell me whats up with tuning?

From reading lots of posts heres what i got:

• first of all, remove acc. pump and put popoff to 35-40psi
    • to tune low screw: start at 1.5 turns. see if the ski has a good hole shot - adjust to get a good hole shot. idle the ski for 2-3 minutes to see if it loads up/rpms start dropping.
    • pilot jet- cruise at 1/4 throttle for 30 seconds and then WOT. if it's sluggish= too rich. if it stutters= lean
    • main jet- cruise at 1/2 throttle, do the same as pilot jet tuning....
    • high speed needle- start at 1.5 turns and go WOT and take rpm readings. If close the screw (lean) and your rpms fall, you need more gas. Keep adding gas until you start dropping rpm
    my questions are:
    -if the low screw has to be at .5 turns so that the ski doesnt load up, is my low jet to big? or can it be a problem with pop off?
    -how do i record rpms, if the gauge isnt really stable. rarely it will read a steady number
    -if ski runs best with high speed screw at 3 turns, is my main jet too lean?

-can anyone tell me what 1/4 throttle is in rpm language? im asking b/c at ~1/4 throttle my ski loads up. but at a hair more throttle it doesnt load up, but im also going a lot faster...

Please help, and thanks in advance!!

+1
    A little info would help. What kind of ski? What year? What mods? What kind of weather do you run in?

+1
    im just asking how to tune in general, nothing really about my ski.
    thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by alex sanjenis View Post
    some people say to tune by rpm, others by plug color, some by sound...can someone tell me whats up with tuning?

From reading lots of posts heres what i got:

• first of all, remove acc. pump and put popoff to 35-40psi
    • to tune low screw: start at 1.5 turns. see if the ski has a good hole shot - adjust to get a good hole shot. idle the ski for 2-3 minutes to see if it loads up/rpms start dropping.
    • pilot jet- cruise at 1/4 throttle for 30 seconds and then WOT. if it's sluggish= too rich. if it stutters= lean
    • main jet- cruise at 1/2 throttle, do the same as pilot jet tuning....
    • high speed needle- start at 1.5 turns and go WOT and take rpm readings. If close the screw (lean) and your rpms fall, you need more gas. Keep adding gas until you start dropping rpm
    my questions are:
    -if the low screw has to be at .5 turns so that the ski doesnt load up, is my low jet to big? or can it be a problem with pop off?
    -how do i record rpms, if the gauge isnt really stable. rarely it will read a steady number
    -if ski runs best with high speed screw at 3 turns, is my main jet too lean?

-can anyone tell me what 1/4 throttle is in rpm language? im asking b/c at ~1/4 throttle my ski loads up. but at a hair more throttle it doesnt load up, but im also going a lot faster...

Please help, and thanks in advance!!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex sanjenis View Post
    im just asking how to tune in general, nothing really about my ski.
    thanks
    I set my lows at 1 turn and forget them. I set the highs at 1.5 and usually have to turn them in. I like it fat to start easier to lean then deto a piston. I use mt PET tach as my guide crank the highs in until I reach max RPM then back them out an 1/8 of a turn. of course this is to my jetting and since this not relative as it is ski specific it really does you no good.

Thread Information