Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Who knows a lil sometin about Basement Waterproofing

As you may have seen my thread last week regarding the flood we had in our home that resulted in 6-8" of water in the basement...

well, prior to this, we always got some water in the basement when it rained... the ground around here gets saturated, we are near the bottom of a graded land, and we built up our entire backyard pretty much on a slab with all levels of brick work and inground pool and ponds.. as a result, water loves saturating the ground on one side of the house, which we have a drainage system for... but water still gets into the basement..

due to flood damage in the basement from the hot water heater blowing, we cut the sheetrock 2 feet up from the floor all the way around in an attempt to let everything dry out AND hopefully find the entry points in the foundation where water gets through on a good rain..

well we've found them... can see the marks down the foundation walls where the water runs down... obviously a repair from the inside would be nothing more than temporary... and excavating the problem areas from the outside is impossible... not happening due to all the brickwork and the pool.

anyone familiar with any effective basement water management or waterproofing systems? ... one system option so far is putting in a trenched grate down that whole wall of the basement pitched towards a pit with a pump in it to eject it outside

+1
    Before you go and put in a trench drain because that would be a PITA, you could try drilling holes in the cracks where the water is coming in and injecting a concrete epoxy. If that does not work than a perimeter drain would be your best option.

water in basement

I lived in northwest Indiana allways had a basement. If the water is seeping from higher up on the wall, there is a product that is called Dry Lock it is effective in sealing the wall. Any holes can be filled with hydraulic cement then painted over. The system you mention that goes around the inside of the wall is probably the most effective since you can't get to the wall from the outside. At one time a baseboard system was available. It epoxied to the wall and floor, not sure if it is still made.

+1
    Call a couple of foundation repair guys, they should have something that could fix the cracks. I think anything you do is temporary unless you redo the whole wall.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    What's a basement?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
    What's a basement?
    Texans call them cellars, storm shelter, tornado shelters. That is where grandma put all the fresh jam.

If you do End up filling the crack with epoxy which a lot of people do and works great IF done right. Make sure whatever epoxy you get acts as a gasket and is somewhat flexible otherwise it will just crack after awhile and youll have the same problem after a couple years. If you want it done right i would suggest hiring a reputalbe person to do it. Concrete is tricky in many aspects.

I think HILTI has a Crack filling system if you do decide to do it yourself. The 2 part epoxys will work best.

Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP View Post
    If you do End up filling the crack with epoxy which a lot of people do and works great IF done right. Make sure whatever epoxy you get acts as a gasket and is somewhat flexible otherwise it will just crack after awhile and youll have the same problem after a couple years. If you want it done right i would suggest hiring a reputalbe person to do it. Concrete is tricky in many aspects.

I think HILTI has a Crack filling system if you do decide to do it yourself. The 2 part epoxys will work best.
    Couldn't of said it better myself. I agree with having a pro do it. I always use the same guy on my rentals.

Quote Originally Posted by GPRXP Steve View Post
    Couldn't of said it better myself. I agree with having a pro do it. I always use the same guy on my rentals.
    Yeah Steve we learned the hard way. My dad did a crack in our house a couple years ago and polaked the hell out of it sure enough its leaking again.

I highley suggest hiring someone for it. You may think its stupid to hiring someone to fill a crack with some glue but youll sleep better a night knowing its done right. Every pro knows all the little tricks to get these done right and better expecially when it comes to construction projects

Shibby heres the HILTI system if you end up wanting it give me a PM my brother gets something like 50% off Hilti stuff ill give hima call and see if he can hook u up. HILIT is top grade stuff too, at least their tools are...

http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/module...jsp?OID=-12194

well there is a cracked foundation and then there is extreme seepage , ( concrete sweats like a glass of lemonade in july ) if its extreme , yes given time and enough water concrete is not water proof ,

gotta figure out unless the basement is finished knocking down the sheet-rock and filling the cracks with stuff that might not even get the job done

vs .

digging a 3x2 ( 4x3 if extreme water zones ) french canal is what there called , useing pvc and rock gravel and 5 mil plastic sheeting the thicker the better ,

and kill any tree with in 20 feet of your house on the side of the crack

oh yea guys when your buying a house and you see a rock garden around a good porition of the house , take a look at what its really hideing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information