Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

San Pedro to Catalina Island on the Wake Editions (Pics)

A small group of us rode the Sea doo out to Catalina Island on Saturday, spent the night and rode back Sunday morning.

For those of you thinking about this trip, I highly recommend doing it. Fun adventure and not nearly as difficult as you might think.

We left from the Cabrillo Beach launch ramp in San Pedro and headed due south at about 8am, riding relatively conservatively we made it to Avalon in Catalina at about 9am. We stopped twice on the way to rest our arms and check or progress on the GPS. About a 25mile trip on way.

We left the cars and trailers at the Cabrillo launch ramp overnight for $27.00 and had no issues.

Parking at Avalon is kind of a pill. You have to use the dingy dock, which is crowded and a disorganized mess, people are friendly and you can usually squeeze the jetski's between some inflatalbes that make good bumpers for the Sea Doos.

Catalina has good smooth water on it's east/north side that makes for good sightseeing and jetskiing.

The water on the ride over was pretty smooth, allowing for 25-35mph averages. There were smoother sections where we were able to go a little faster. We stayed at the St. Laurent hotel, supposedly one of the "better" hotels in Avalon. It was one of the few hotels that takes reservations for a single night. However I used "better" losely for those accustomed to Four Season style accomodations, thin walls, we got a play by play on the overwieght couple next door doing whatever it was that was making those noises. But for a weekend warrior trip the hotels are fine.

Catalina has a good fuel dock, with 91, $5.35 a gallon. The fuel dock has limited hours during the week and winte, so double check before you go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Catalina Route.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	68756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	At Speed.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	68757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hanging Out.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	878.3 KB 
ID:	68758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leaving the Port of LA.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	768.4 KB 
ID:	68759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Refueling.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	842.3 KB 
ID:	68760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pier in Catalina.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	867.9 KB 
ID:	68761  

thats rele kool. i just got a wake 215

+1
    Very nice! I like riding out of Cabrillo. Have never taken the trip to catalina, maybe this summer.

You guys were lucky, water was glass. I am glad you guys have fun. Let me know if you guys want to ride from Santa Barbara to Avila. I always wanted to see the North shores from Santa Barbara. Point Conception was as far as I got North of SB from the water.

And just in case of "Pirate's" the flyindutchman carried a 9mm.
    "Eat the Dutch"

Name:	Catalina Trip April 001.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	68956  

Quote Originally Posted by Team.G View Post
    And just in case of "Pirate's" the flyindutchman carried a 9mm.
    "Eat the Dutch"
    Travel Monkey

Name:	Catalina Trip April 017.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	68957  

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer 1 View Post
    You guys were lucky, water was glass. I am glad you guys have fun. Let me know if you guys want to ride from Santa Barbara to Avila. I always wanted to see the North shores from Santa Barbara. Point Conception was as far as I got North of SB from the water.
    Jammer, Mike G and I would be game, but Avilia Beach is 110mile plus from Santa Barbara Harbor? The only lauch ramp where we could refuel that I can find is on what looks like Vandenburg AFB property near destoryer rock? Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Fly'n Dutchman View Post
    Jammer, Mike G and I would be game, but Avilia Beach is 110mile plus from Santa Barbara Harbor? The only lauch ramp where we could refuel that I can find is on what looks like Vandenburg AFB property near destoryer rock? Any ideas?
    NO, unless you want the Military after us LOL! If we go, this will be a one way trip. From Santa Barbara we launch. all skis will be picked-up at Avila beach and trailered back to Santa Barbara. Fuel stops will be made at Campsites. choices are El Capitan, Refugio camp, Jalama camp. another option is to carry fuel with us. This has to be well organized. Let me brainstorm on it more and I'll let ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer 1 View Post
    NO, unless you want the Military after us LOL! If we go, this will be a one way trip. From Santa Barbara we launch. all skis will be picked-up at Avila beach and trailered back to Santa Barbara. Fuel stops will be made at Campsites. choices are El Capitan, Refugio camp, Jalama camp. another option is to carry fuel with us. This has to be well organized. Let me brainstorm on it more and I'll let ya know.

Would it be better to ride from Avila to SB with the current.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly'n Dutchman View Post
    Would it be better to ride from Avila to SB with the current.
    I have to check on that 1. all I know is Point Conception gets nasty sometimes. I was there right at the bottom of the lighthouse, it was a calm day...Beautifull sight!...chance of a lifetime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information