Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: mfd problem

2000 pro 785 (son's) 1998 pro 785 (dads) old guy in mich's Avatar

mfd problem

anybody got any clue as to what make my mfd on 98 pro 785 read low power. causes fuel not to read out level. battery good, connectors cleaned. when it first fires up (when reconnecting battery) every thing is good (all levels shown) but within a few seconds goes back to low power reading and levels drop to nothing (fuel). only shows 0.2 volts on mfd but 12.9 at battery. ski runs great and tach seems fine.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I am not 100% sure what triggers the Low PR display.

Clip a digital multi-meter to the battery posts, set for DC volts. If you can, set it to show 1 decimal place - 00.0

Before engine start, you should see 12.x volts, where x is 0-9 (might even measure 13 volts with a really well charged battery). If it is under 12 volts, then either the battery is bad, or it needs charging. Battery must be good and charged before any other tests can be useful.

With good battery, start the engine (don't even need the water hose for this, as the whole test takes only a few seconds).

Battery voltage should drop a little during cranking, but stay above 10.5 volts.

It should then jump to 14.x volts as soon as the engine starts running. Voltage should be fairly stable at 14.x volts when you burp the throttle (a little up and down voltage change with RPM is OK). 14.x volts means the stator and voltage regulator are working, and charging the battery.

If voltage stays around 12.x volts with the engine running, then the charging system is NOT working, and that needs to be investigated.

Shut the engine down. Voltage should glide down towards 12.x volts again.

If this describes what you see on the meter, then the battery and charging system are working.

If the charging system and battery are working properly, then the MFD is not getting the right voltages, which probably means a wiring problem somewhere (wires, connections, grounds, etc).

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by old guy in mich View Post

anybody got any clue as to what make my mfd on 98 pro 785 read low power. causes fuel not to read out level. battery good, connectors cleaned. when it first fires up (when reconnecting battery) every thing is good (all levels shown) but within a few seconds goes back to low power reading and levels drop to nothing (fuel). only shows 0.2 volts on mfd but 12.9 at battery. ski runs great and tach seems fine.
    i would swap dislays from the other ski!!!
    i have 2 mfd's that go into lo-pow for no reason at all IT JUST THE DISPLAY
    mattman

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    i would swap dislays from the other ski!!!
    i have 2 mfd's that go into lo-pow for no reason at all IT JUST THE DISPLAY
    mattman

try resetting them .

+1
    Had the same problem with mine. Constantly read LoPWR or whatever. Finally went away when I reset it.

2000 pro 785 (son's) 1998 pro 785 (dads) old guy in mich's Avatar
    moderator may want to post this in tech section. i could find nothing in searches on this or in any polaris manuals,

ok got the fix from lugs: credit where due!!!!!!!!!

everything chkd out so figured it had to be a glitch in the mfd itself. had just put in a new battery for the season and must have done something to cause a spike.

The LOPr will only come on when the battery voltage is under 10.9
    Remember power fluctuations (usually caused by loose connections) or electrical noise caused by the ignition system may cause the MFD to lose voltage calibration data. These "events" will also show LOPr.

Check and correct the charging system, battery, battery connections, fuse connections, MFD pin connectors, (pay peticular attention to power and ground connections at the MFD).

To re-set the MFD
    Press and hold the MODE and SET keys until the CAL displays. The CAL display will usually show after 4 seconds
    Press and hold the SET key
    While continuing to hold the SET key ans within 2 seconds of pressing the SET key, press and hold the MODE key
    Don't release either key until the MFD shuts down
    After the MFD has shut itself down, press the mode key to turn the MFD on
    Depress the MODE key repeatedly until voltage is displayed and verify that the voltage reading has been restored.

+1
    Glad you found the info!! I couldn't remember how I reset mine for the life of me!

I knew someone had to remember

+1
    I copied and pasted it into a thread in the Tech section.

+1
    I deleted it as the information is already in the tech section under Fuji Electrical
    Post 9
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15438

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    I deleted it as the information is already in the tech section under Fuji Electrical
    Post 9
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15438
    Well that works too!

I wonder why I couldn't find any results for it though when I searched a few days back? I didnt go look through all of it, but tried a search, maybe i'm we todd did.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information