Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1995 sl750 wont run

im new to this forum, I have searched a bunch of posts but have not found what i am looking for.
    I just came across 95 sl750 from a guy who did some work for the original owner. He was too old to enjoy it. It has been sitting around a year. I put new plugs and battery in it. It will crank but not fire. Just last night i noticed that its not pulling any fuel from the tank. All the lines are bone dry. The fuel lines are turned on. I took the fuel seperater off and drained it and filled it about half way and tightened it back on. Is there a pump in the tank? or is that just a sending unit? I fired it without the plugs in it and it shot oil to my garage cieling. So i know its getting oil . Please let me know where i should start. Thanks. This forum is awesome

Welcome to the hulk shotough!!
    The best place to start is right here!! The fuel pump is not in the tank. It is external and operated by a pulse of the engine compression and vacuum as the pistons move up and down in the cylinders. I can tell you the fuel system is the heart and soul of the 750 fuji engine (well all 2 stroke engines) as that is how it is lubricated. So with that said, here is what was recomended to me when I got my 95 slt 750. I know it is feeling like spring and you can't wait to ride that thing but be patient and get these things done so you won't have to be doing it after you break down. One of those pay me now or pay me later thing.

Take the carbs apart and clean. You can't get them clean by spraying some cleaner in there. They must come apart.
    Change the fuel lines. The rubber will break down over time and clog the system.
    Take the selector valve apart and clean it or replace it.
    Change over to a triple outlet fuel pump. After years of use, the original will no longer supply the volume needed to feed the front cylinder and you will have problems.
    Some will say remove oil pump and run premixed gas but that is personal gambling that we all have to decide on our own.

If this boat has been sitting for a while and the fuel lines are dry, you can use a primer bulb like you have on a boat fuel line to pump gas from the tank to the pump. This will get the gas close to the engine anyway.

More will be along soon with great advice. Trust me when I say, listen to them, they know what they are talking about!

+1
    What he said

Plus--

Make sure your battery is fully charged. If less than 10.5v when crancking it will not spark.

First is check the fuel lines, including those in the tank itself
    Fuel Switch
    Carbs
    Pulse line form engine to Fuel pump (located below the flame arrestor)
    Think about upgrading to the triple fuel pump
    Fill the fuel seperator fully and see if it is drawing down and not refilling, or not drawing at all.

thanks guys. im gonna go tinker with it right now. Is there anything that i can mess up, I mean by cranking on it out of the water, etc? It really seems to be loading the cylinders with tons of oil. do you need a rebuild kit to take the carbs apart? No place locally has parts and even knows anything about the polaris. Do you know of anything around columbus ohio? I apprieciate it. Thanks, Ed

+1
    Most people fog the engine before storage. Fogging oil is sprayed into the carbs until well circulated/just about flooded sometimes.Ptotects the internal parts from rust.

The extra oil may just be fogging oil.

Stuck on the beach? No problem! mrvb1969's Avatar
    I will be in Columbus the last week in May for my son's graduation (I know that sounds like a long way away!!!),I have installed the triple fuel pump, oil block off kit and a new engine in my 95 slt750, so I am somewhat familiar with how fuel/engine should look. Would be happy to stop by if you have had no luck before then. I'm not as good as these guys on here, but sometimes it helps to be able to see what is going on.
    Mike

it is filling the number 3 cycl especially with tons of oil. I took the plugs out and got over an ounce of oil out with a siringe. I did notice on the display it said low oil, but the tank is full. Has anyone dealt with this sort of problem?

also i did compression and it was right around 145 on all 3. It only has 65 hours on it. Could the oil injection be stuck open? what monitors the volume it sends out? Where can you buy a manual for one of these machines. thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by shotough View Post
    also i did compression and it was right around 145 on all 3.
    It only has 65 hours on it.
    Could the oil injection be stuck open? what monitors the volume it sends out?

Where can you buy a manual for one of these machines. thanks.
    1992-1998 Polaris Service Manual

The oil pump will default to maximum oil volume if the cable controlled spring loaded lever arm on the oil pump is released (in case of a broken cable). The cable links the oil pump arm to the throttle position.

Check that the oil pump lever moves when you squeeze the thumb throttle.

The Service Manual has more info on the oil pump.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shotough View Post
    it is filling the number 3 cycl especially with tons of oil. I took the plugs out and got over an ounce of oil out with a siringe. I did notice on the display it said low oil, but the tank is full. Has anyone dealt with this sort of problem?
    With that much oil in the crankcase the pulse line to the fuel pump is most likely not pulsing or the diaphragm in the pump is shot.. There are crankcase drain bolts located down low under the exhaust one for each cylinder. The oil pump flow is controlled buy engine RPM and throttle position as mentioned. The oil level display is controlled buy a float in the top of the tank check to see if it is floating.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information