Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Stuck on the beach? No problem! mrvb1969's Avatar

impeller removal tool

Okay guys, I am back. I did find out it was the shaft/stator bearings that were bad. Ordered bearing kit from SBT. Now my problem is trying to get the impeller removal tool that is needed. In my searches I see two different options... one looks just like a large bolt(where it attaches to , I have no idea) it is solas? part#wr006 and goes for around $10. The other looks more like some kind of removal tool. It is called a polaris impeller wrench(jetskimechanic.com) and ranges in price from $25-$35. I have the thread from the technical section about replacement instructions that states the tool is about $10. I just want some more input before I order the wrong tool. Thanks again!!!!!
    Mike

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I have the Solas impeller tool. Is has splines on the shaft that fit into the impeller, and a hex bolt head.

It is fairly short, and just reaches the splines inside my impeller. In fact, it probably only reaches 2/3 of the way into the splines.

The Jetski mechanic tool looks similar (image below), but appears to be longer, and might be a better choice.

Someone on here has taken a used Polaris drive shaft, and torch heated it enough to put in a 90 L bend, turning it into a powerful impeller wrench.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by K447; 04-26-2008 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Added link to http://jetskimechanic.com

That's all I needed to know, I will order it now!!!
    Thanks K447!

The short tool will work just fine. Be sure to torque as required.

See my instructions below, be sure to check the impeller to housing clearance,for excessive clearance, should be less than .75 mm (SBT)

’95 SL 750, How to Do, a Jet Pump Bearing/Seal Replacement

Replacing the bearings and seals is pretty straightforward job if you have the proper tools.
    After removing the pump assy from the ski, disassemble far enough to get the rear cone off. Put it in a vise, and using the special tool (about $10.00) remove the impeller, (cc/w).

You can now punch out the bearings and seals by using about a 6-8 inch long punch (using a good size hammer). There is ample room to move the spacer around, it seems easier to go through the middle of it vs. the side of it to drive them out.

Next de-grease and clean up the housing.

Put it in an oven for about 45 minutes set at 212 degrees F.

While this is heating, put the bearings in a freezer for about the same length of time.

Now it is ready to assemble. The bearings will almost slide in with hand pressure; you might have to nudge with a hammer/socket (pushing on the outer race). Don’t forget to install the spacer.

When both bearings are in let it cool for a while. Insert the first forward seal (socket/hammer on out side edges of seal) pack marine grease in the cavity (between the seals) and install the next seal.

Installing the impeller requires the special tool and a torque wrench that go to 100 foot-pounds.

Assemble the rest with all new seals.

Total cost for this project was around $100.00(using all Polaris seals/bearings)

Thanks Dorf, I already have your instructions sitting on my desk waiting for this weekend. Just have to talk the wife into letting me put the housing in the oven!!!

Glad I could help.

If you clean up the housing real good it will not smell or stink-up the kitchen or house....and 212 F is not really that hot.

And the pump will go together real easy.

Cheers !!!

Quote Originally Posted by dorf View Post
    Glad I could help.

If you clean up the housing real good it will not smell or stink-up the kitchen or house....and 212 F is not really that hot.

And the pump will go together real easy.

Cheers !!!
    You can also use a heat gun on the stator while its on the bench. Heating stator/freeze bearings is the only way to go on this procedure. The bearings will literally drop right in. The SS stator stays hot for a while though..........

mrvb1969 - Where did you wind up ordering that impeller removal tool? It seems that I too need one...

Eric

RiverRat19405, im a rat in the water RiverRat19405's Avatar
    Save your money an get a used drive shaft an put a L in it works great thats what i did if you dont have one pic one off ebay for a few bucks worx like a charm

I bought mine at www.overtons.com
    Item # 31625 $9.99 works great.
    It is the short stubby type.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information