Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2003 GTX SC not getting up to Speed Or RPMs ! Help !

My 2003 GTX S/C totally stock. It has 73.5hrs. and has stock prop and wear ring. It is slow out of the hole, accel. slow, and tops out at 48-50mph @6400RPM and thats it.. It runs smooth, Just changed oil (not overfilled) and spark plugs look good, Not getting any trouble codes or anything. The wear ring looks like it could stand to be replaced, but doesnt look too bad, and the prop looks ok. Im not sure what the problem is. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

+1
    i'm no expert but it sounds like a clutch failure to me.

my rxp went down to 6200 rpms and 55 mph when my clutch failed both times it happened.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    unfortunately... i gotta agree sounds like your SC clutch is toasted.

is this the original SC clutch? if so, GOOD! won't have to yank the motor out on this one to fish out ceramic pieces on an 03 S/Ced machine.

is it still under warranty?

Yes it is the original SC and clutch. It is not under warranty.
    When I take off the air intake hose into the SC i can reach in and spin the SC impeller effortlessly. Should it be able to spin like this?? Is this a costly/complicated repair? Thanks !

+1
    no, it should not spin like that. You need a supercharger rebuild, sorry buddy.

it's a $375 dollar parts bill assuming the oil pumps and and engine covers are in good shape internally.

is it complicated? NO, but it's VERY VERY precise and sensitive installation procedure that is critical to longevity and prop functioning. Also requires a few *special* tools.

Thanks for your help!
    Now ive just gotta decide if i want to let my dealer take it, or try it myself... I dont want a huge service bill, but dont want to mess it up.

So should I get the RR rebuild kit from the 4tecperformance store ? or an OEM one? Anything else i should do while ive got the S/C off??

+1
    the Rotax one and the OEM 2006 clutch are pretty much the same price, i think?

there's a few special OEM supercharger tools. Green Hulk has them for sale in the online store as well, u can buy all the tools and clutch kit online from this website... there's a shop manual and directions... i mean u can try it on your own and make sure you follow it to a T verbatim!

or maybe u can find someone on the forum with experience willing to do it. remove ur SC and mail it to someone with a little token of appreciation inside the box or something.

definitely looking at a decent repair bill from a dealer... or u can call Mark Underwood or Nils and see if they will build your supercharger for you.... you have alot of options.

+1
    try and re build with a set of STEEL washers..too..

RXPBeast: Your gonna need the right tools to do this rebuild yourself. If your dealer is absolutely competent, then have them do it, if not ask around on here and see if you can get someone here to do it for ya for a few $$$, you`d be better off with experienced SC people. just my 2 cents...PR...

Let me tell you what i was thinking about doing. Theres a barely used 04 SC on ebay that i was thinking about buying for $550 and just installing it myself. Rather than try and rebuild myne or pay someone else to. Just buying the whole unit ready to go, ensuring that I ( or my dealer) dont make any mistakes during the rebuild. Make sense, or am i missing something? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information