+1

Rotax Racing Heavy Duty clutch kit w/ shaft dilemma

My ski is still in the shop but I'm being patient. Perhaps this is a sign. I have nearly 80 hours on my '04 and I've never had a problem (knock on fiberglass). My clutch doesn't slip and the ski rides great with PPG Level 1 and other mods. I just got the Vortech impeller and the RR intercooler with a BOV. After reading older posts about these clutches and BOV's, I opted to play it safe and do both.

Since then there have been many more posts talking about these pricey and heavy duty kits breaking and causing much grief.

I definitely want to add the Vortech. I've got the IC w/ BOV though not installed yet.

Should I just install the Vortech and not the RR clutch and bank on the BOV to keep me safe? Because all this ceramic explosion talk is bumming me out.

+1
    Just do the Vortech and leave the clutch alone. The Vortech is actually lighter which will put less strain on your clutch.

+1
    My humble advice I give to anyone foolish enough to ask is to run your SC clutch until it goes. After wrestling with the clutch for a month and spending well over $1000 on it, I have a new respect for the stock clutch. Mine lasted 75 hours and wasn't broke when I replaced it. If I had it to do over, I would leave it alone.

+1
    Okay...thanks for telling me what I wanted to hear. So I guess I just need to pay attention to that nut on the Vortech. I'll keep the RR clutch for if/when the stock one goes out.

+1
    Since I haven't installed the IC and BOV yet, should I wait and do those first before doing the Vortech and running without the BOV?

+1
    I don't know what to tell you about the BOV. I see valid points from those who say the BOV is necessary and from those that say it's potentially harmful. I am not running a BOV, but I am keeping my eye on real world performance. I don't see any harm in installing the Vortech impeller. Like Jerry said, it is lighter than the stock impeller, so it generates less inertial force. That means it taxes the clutch less.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko
    I have a new respect for the stock clutch. Mine lasted 75 hours and wasn't broke when I replaced it. If I had it to do over, I would leave it alone.
    Mucho Ditto

+1
    If the Vortech is lighter and less inertia, yet it generates more boost, is it the opinion that it will have more or less wear on the clutch (figuratively speaking).

Well I was going to pull my SC today but after the check engine light keep coming on this weekend I will be taking it to the dealer today to have that check out. Only because it is still under warenty the dealer and I are perty cool and I have around 70 hours on the ski. I had decided to just send my SC housing off to PPG and just have them instal the Vortex Impeller along with the RR cluch, drive shaff, drive gear and what ever else in the SC housing, along with a BOV (http://www.perryperformancegroup.com...sp?cat=66&pg=3). I hope that is, would and still be a good idea. My logic was to replace everyting new so mabey it will have less trouble. What do you guys think about going that rout? Has anyone done this and have you had any touble out of it?????

Thread Information