Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Skegs

+1

My Skegs

The machinist won’t get my skegs made until next week so I made these up tonight. Going to test tomorrow. What do you think? Will they create too much drag or will they work? The aluminum is 12” long 1/4x1/2 in. Clamped both together in the vice after I took the grinder to them and filed them both the same. I'll take em off if they don't work...didn't cost much just a little time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skeg_369.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	4136   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frontskeg_785.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	4137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rearskeg_138.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	4138   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	braceskeg_279.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	4139  

Some may ssay to sharpen the front and rear edges. Looks good though. What epoxy did you use?

+1
    loctite marine epoxy from Lowe's

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    the ingenuity (spelling?) is there and that's awesome that u take a project into ur own hands and see what u find. if they suck, don't just rip them off and give up. Things don't usually work the first time around.

I'll tell you one thing tho by looking at them... your ski is going to handle VERY scary in the turns like that. Be forewarned, DO NOT turn the bars hard at high speeds, don't want to see you get hurt. I ran my ski with skegs that are alot less drastic and less persuasive on the handling than what u have there, and i almost snapped my wrists and ankles and went for a swim. It will turn and veer off real hard quicker than u can blink ur eye.

very interested to hear how you make out, keep us posted.

I know someone that has skegs for no other reason than handling and his skegs are similar in shape but 1/4 the size of yours and slowed his ski 1 mph.

+1
    that's true... they are definitely handling components. i shouldn't say the ski will be scary in turns, just ALOT different to a large degree was my experience. Few people i've spoken to had the exact same experience. they tell me, Steve, i swear i thought i rolled both my ankles and was going for a swim for sure, i don't know how I held onto those handlebars but that ski just turned from underneath me and i didn't even see it coming.

i put about 7 hours of ridetime on the skegs in ONE day. the first hour or two was learning to ride a new machne on glass, chop, and in turns. By the end of the day, i was actually falling in love with the way it grabbed in the turns and i was leaning into the turns alot more and expecting it to really pull me in the direction i pointed.

1fastrespiper.... did u find that your rideplate was sorta parabolical? did u have to curve the skegs to make them fit against the rideplate properly with no gaps?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485
    1fastrespiper.... did u find that your rideplate was sorta parabolical? did u have to curve the skegs to make them fit against the rideplate properly with no gaps?
    Yes, I had to bend them to fit. About 1 1/2 to 2" from the end of the rideplate.

The rideplate is a mess everything is rounded on it. I really like what you've done to yours.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FastTrespiper
    The rideplate is a mess everything is rounded on it. I really like what you've done to yours.
    i've done ALOT more since. I hope i'm not getting too agressive with it, but MAYBE i'm onto something. time will tell only one way to find out, someone has to scrap a rideplate, lolol

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485

shibby, I've seen you asking about the bubble in the ride plate on the yamaha board but I can't post over there. All of the ride plates have that bubble in the rear half like you described. I got a set of jerry's skegs from stan last weekend that he had not tried because he already has some that he made, he told me about the bubble then. When I put them on I saw just how big the bubble is and had to spend an hour or so fitting the skegs to the ride plate by gently bending them at the beginning and end of the bubble. I'm leaving my bubble alone but plan to eventually grind and shim the mounting pads and MAY take out half of the hook in the hull.

another buddy bought a new ride plate to modify, think he said it cost him around $150 through his sponsor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information