Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post New to the site, Opinions about SLTX

Hey everyone, i've been lurking for awhile and I regestered a while back, but this is my first time posting.

Last fall in October I had a 1996 Polaris SLTX 1050 given to me by my uncle. He had owned it for about ten years and he didn't use it very much. It was always covered up with the factory cover but it was outside all year, even through the winter. The ski is in really good shape though, and it has super low hours.

Anyways, I've looked around some, but what do you guys think about the ski? I looked through some of the TSB's...What are some common things that go wrong with this ski?

I rode it once since I got it and that was in October (chilly up here in Maine), but the ski performed flawlessly. I want to tune it up this spring, and I already have new plugs and a new oil filter for it. I'm also planning on changing the fuel lines and cleaning the fuel strainer. What else should I do?

I know absolutely nothing about the propulsion mechanism....What should I look for?

Sorry for all of the questions, feel free to answer as few or as many as you'd like. I am looking forward to speaking with the people on this forum, it seems like a great place here!

Mitch

Welcome to the Hulk! If it runs good dont mess w/ it! Do you run in fresh or salt water? If salt a good cleaning/flush is mandatory after each ride. Changing the fuel lines is always a good idea. Search this forum and most of your questions will be answered.

if aint broke dont fix it ,

but one thing that happens is some electrical parts have been prone to fail , which in reaction there is this updated kit

all i would say is change the fuel lines and check the top of the pistons see how its burning ,

the rest leave it alone untill you find something unwanted like a piston burning bad

propulsion mechanism you wanna look down the pump at every which angle an see if there is huge chunks
    missing out of this from like rocks or baby seals whatever maine has to run over

just make sure all the fastners are tight
    Last edited by Bone1050; 04-23-2008 at 10:05 PM.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Hey Welcome! I hope the oil filter your talking about is the small in-line one for the oil injection. And someone didn't sell you one for the motor.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    ...Last fall in October I had a 1996 Polaris SLTX 1050 given to me by my uncle. He had owned it for about ten years and he didn't use it very much. It was always covered up with the factory cover but it was outside all year, even through the winter. The ski is in really good shape though, and it has super low hours.

Anyways, I've looked around some, but what do you guys think about the ski? I looked through some of the TSB's...What are some common things that go wrong with this ski?

I rode it once since I got it and that was in October (chilly up here in Maine), but the ski performed flawlessly. I want to tune it up this spring, and I already have new plugs and a new oil filter for it. I'm also planning on changing the fuel lines and cleaning the fuel strainer. What else should I do?

I know absolutely nothing about the propulsion mechanism....What should I look for?

Sorry for all of the questions, feel free to answer as few or as many as you'd like. I am looking forward to speaking with the people on this forum, it seems like a great place here!

Mitch
    Welcome to the Green Hulk!
    For Polaris PWC information, this is the place.

First off, download the 1992-1998 Service manual, and read it.

The Polaris X models were the performance versions of their time. Your 1996 SLTX has a 1050cc Polaris domestic engine (painted red), and is a fairly quick 3 seater.

Keep in mind that these 2-stoke engines have almost no tolerance for being operated with incorrect fuel mixture. Even a slight problem with the carburetors can seriously damage the engine in short order.

That is why you will see advice to take the carbs apart, clean them carefully, and ensure that the adjustment screws are set correctly. Same goes for the fuel system. If the fuel hoses degrade from age, and allow air in, it can cause lean fuel delivery to the engine, especially at high throttle.

In general, if you suspect there is something not quite right, you should fix it promptly, and do NOT ride it until the problem is corrected.

The drive system is actually fairly simple and robust. The through hull bearing should be greased, and the impeller and stator checked for damaged blades. Steering and reverse cables should be lubed, and everything checked for corrosion, looseness or binding.

There is a lot of information on these Green Hulk Polaris forums. Take the time to do searches, and read up.

+1
    welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    Hey Welcome! I hope the oil filter your talking about is the small in-line one for the oil injection. And someone didn't sell you one for the motor.

Haha, yes it is the small inline filter for the oil injection.

I downloaded the manual, and i'm slowly making my way through it. Lots o' info!

I'm going to check out the propulsion mechanism this weekend. Hoprfully nothings missing.

I was thinking of cleaning up the carbs, but i'm a little afraid. I've done it on my sled before and various cars and such, but it's easy enough to screw up the mixture on one carb, let alone three! I was reading about a place to send them out to (Watcon?) I think, I will probably do that.

Thanks!
    Mitch

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    I was reading about a place to send them out to (Watcon?) I think, I will probably do that.

Thanks!
    Mitch
    You can't go wrong sending them to Randy at www.watcon.com
    Plus you will get free phone support if needed. He is an awesome guy. Very helpful!

+1
    but it's easy enough to screw up the mixture on one carb, let alone three! I was reading about a place to send them out to (Watcon?) I think, I will probably do that.

Thanks!
    Mitch
    Randy can clean/rebuild them but you'll still have to adjust them.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk!! I've got the same ski and love it. Mines looks like a comfortable old shoe...actually an upside down comfortable old shoe as I just painted the hull today. It does lots of things very well...GPS the speed and let us know how fast it is...pics too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information