Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water in the bilge normal?

On my 08 speedster 150 I took it out today ,alot of chop is it normal to take on some water inside? I took the caps off and it poured out for like 5 seconds . I'm just curious if this is supposed to be a dry bilge or if because of the vents in the back of the boat with chop it takes in some water. We got hit with a little spray on our faces from breakin waves. Thankyou.

Quote Originally Posted by atom1234 View Post
    On my 08 speedster 150 I took it out today ,alot of chop is it normal to take on some water inside? I took the caps off and it poured out for like 5 seconds . I'm just curious if this is supposed to be a dry bilge or if because of the vents in the back of the boat with chop it takes in some water. We got hit with a little spray on our faces from breakin waves. Thankyou.
    The deck self bales through a scupper. But if you had water go into the ski locker or had ice in the cooler that would go into the bilge.

Quote Originally Posted by atom1234 View Post
    I know water in bilges is pretty standard. go to boaters world or west marine, get a cheap $30 automatic bilge rule pump, toss it in. Insurance never hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pettee View Post
    I know water in bilges is pretty standard. go to boaters world or west marine, get a cheap $30 automatic bilge rule pump, toss it in. Insurance never hurts.
    Why would someone add a pump to a brand new boat that has one factory installed with an auto switch and manual over ride??????????

If shes got boobs or a throttle, I'm on it! badvinny's Avatar
    There's a mechanical seal on the driveshaft that will leak in chop more than flat water when its still in good condition (they leak all the time when they are phuked!) Dont stress, next time on a nice day there might not even be a drop in there! If your drive shaft gets bent or the bearings wear this seal turns into a high power sprinkler.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoo View Post
    Why would someone add a pump to a brand new boat that has one factory installed with an auto switch and manual over ride??????????
    Always ALways Always have 2 bilge pumps. I have one on a reg helm switch, and another auto one instead of using a bilge float switch or an ultima switch. Most boats should come w/2 from the factory.

Always ALways Always have 2 bilge pumps. I have one on a reg helm switch, and another auto one instead of using a bilge float switch or an ultima switch. Most boats should come w/2 from the factory.
    Nice try!

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoo View Post
    Nice try!
    ? Don't if you don't want to, but most will tell you to. I won't ever own a boat with only one bilge pump. Mine only had one when I bought it, immediatly put in another. Any boats you see, like fountains formulas, guarantee they have 2. Contender, Regulator, Pro Line, etc etc. Most experienced boaters will say the same.

Its solely for redundancy. If one fails, you have another to do the job. Or if the float switch fails on the one, which is very common. We had a rain here the other week, flooded both my fishboxes and loaded my bilge up, even with 2 pumps in there, because my switch had failed on the one (which i have not replaced yet) Don't want to think what would have happened without the backup pump, and this is on a boat with self draining cockpit, but one clogged due to those lil dade spur thingies

Easy to install, either drill a new through hull, or simply use a y connecter and some check valves.
    Last edited by Pettee; 04-25-2008 at 03:07 PM.

? Don't if you don't want to, but most will tell you to. I won't ever own a boat with only one bilge pump. Mine only had one when I bought it, immediatly put in another. Any boats you see, like fountains formulas, guarantee they have 2. Contender, Regulator, Pro Line, etc etc. Most experienced boaters will say the same.

Its solely for redundancy. If one fails, you have another to do the job. Or if the float switch fails on the one, which is very common. We had a rain here the other week, flooded both my fishboxes and loaded my bilge up, even with 2 pumps in there, because my switch had failed on the one (which i have not replaced yet) Don't want to think what would have happened without the backup pump, and this is on a boat with self draining cockpit, but one clogged due to those lil dade spur thingies

Easy to install, either drill a new through hull, or simply use a y connecter and some check valves.
    What does this have to do with the price of chicken???

He asked why he had water in the bilge and if it was normal you posted he should install a bilge pump I posted it already had a bilge pump then you back tracked and changed it around. Like I said nice try!

We should all test are pump/pumps every time the boat is used. If having a second pump is what "floats your boat" then no harm.

Butttttttt back to the original question like I said ice in the cooler or water getting into the storage/ski locker from waves over the bow or splashes
    are the #1 causes unless you have an issue like Badvinny explained.

Oh wasn't trying to backtrack just stating always nice to have 2 bilges! I knew they came with them, was just saying he should install a second.

But yeah can be water from the cooler. I'm not positive how the shaft runs through on a seadoo boat but if its like most inboard boats then the seals have to stay wet to work right, and the result is water in the bilge. Pretty standard and wouldn't worry about it. If it's on a float switch and not an Ultima switch i'd junk the switch and get the ultima, since they do not have moving parts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information