Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

A PM i received about the stainless steel intake grate

I wanted to respond to this in open forum to clear up any questions you guys may have had about the grate

Quote Originally Posted by PM from forum member
    Jerry,

First I wanted to say thank you for everything you do and that safety is very important to me.

There is some talk going around about the new SS grate weighing over 10 lbs. and that this could possibly cause damage to the bottom of the hull at speeds over 80. Additionally, the top-end speed for the new grate will be slower than that of the current 1200 grate (the number I am hearing is about 3-4 mph slower than the R&D 800 grate). With that being said, the concern that people are having is why would they want to spend $375 on a grate that is slower on the top end than the 1200 and that has very little hole shot why not just run the 1200 (and$375 is a lot of money to some people). If these are false statements please forgive me for waisting your time and please post something speed data or whatever to help put an end to the rumors/concerns.

I read your post that you will not order these grates if they do not perform up to your expectations, is that speed, finish quality, etc. What will be the determining factor? I am just trying to get some straight answers around this grate.

I did not want to piss you or other people off by putting this on the forum so I decided to PM you only. I have only meet you once (so you probably don't have a clue who I am) but I got the impression that you are a very honest and all around good hearted person. Again, please don't take this the wrong way and I applaud you for taking on this very risky and time consuming project.

Sorry if some of this did not make since it is late and I am starting to ramble.
    I don't know where this misinformation is coming from?

The grate does not weigh over 10 pounds, it weighs 6lbs 8 ounces. The purpose of this grate is to be stronger and with stronger its going to be heavier. We are supplying larger M8 bolts with the grate which are more than capable of holding the grate to the hull.

How in the world do you come up with the fact that the grate will be slower than a 1200 grate? We all know that the 800 grate is faster than the 1200, that is why we use them for speed runs.

And "the number you are hearing" is that the stainless grate will be 3-4 MPH slower than the 800 grate? PLEASE tell me who is telling you this bullshit. The stainless grate IS an 800 grate. The only difference is it's made from investment cast stainless steel and is 15 times stroner than the pot metal aluminum 800 grate we're using now. So please don't elude the question and tell us who is saying it will be 3-4 mph slower.

Like i have mentioned, the big order for all the grates will not be made until we are satisfied with fit, finish and performance. Tommy Jordan and WFO will be testing these grates very soon.

I do want an answer to who is feeding you all this bullshit!

+1
    I respect the poster for going directly to you rather then feed the fires of rumors with an open post of unsubstantiated rumors. I had not heard any of the things he questioned, but can appreciate the way he handled it directly with you privately.

Jerry, right now its all just susposition in their discussion... perhaps they think it will be slower due to increased weight. If I may, let me address that.....

I doubt even if the grate weighed 30lbs it would effect top speed at all. This just tells me its more desnse and less likely to experience harmonics ( which would be a detractor in speed)
    The amount the grate weighs is mostly irrelevant compared to the tremendous forces acting on it. Just imagine trying to drag your hand in the water at 90mph and you can understand the forces acting on the grate. 30mph under water drag is like MACH 1 in the air.... (or something close to that)

I wouldnt worry too much about the rumors, realize no matter how hard you work at doing the right thing, there will always be those who try to tear down your accomplishment.

Jerry, we applaud you for undertaking this step to help with everyones safety and hope that rumors will subside.... We know you had a large monetary expense from your own pocket getting this off the ground, and that can get anyone edgy about ungrounded critisism and rumors ( believe me, I know)
    Soon there will be empirical data comparing the grates available and all the questions will be laid to rest.

a comparison would be.......... a 1200 r&d grate is slower then a stock grate at 71 mph....... but would any of us who know the dangers and/or have been hurt by the stock intake grate even consider sacrificing a few bucks or tenths of mph to take that risk? I doubt it.....

Personally I feel like this grate will be as fast, or possibly faster (due to stability of metal) but even if it came out a little slower, thats nothing compared to the piece of mind it offers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Like i have mentioned, the big order for all the grates will not be made until we are satisfied with fit, finish and performance. Tommy Jordan and WFO will be testing these grates very soon.

The GOD's will be looking at these grates and giving the OK if they see fit.
    WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RUNWME View Post
    I respect the poster for going directly to you rather then feed the fires of rumors with an open post of unsubstantiated rumors. I had not heard any of the things he questioned, but can appreciate the way he handled it directly with you privately.

Jerry, right now its all just susposition in their discussion... perhaps they think it will be slower due to increased weight. If I may, let me address that.....

I doubt even if the grate weighed 30lbs it would effect top speed at all. This just tells me its more desnse and less likely to experience harmonics ( which would be a detractor in speed)
    The amount the grate weighs is mostly irrelevant compared to the tremendous forces acting on it. Just imagine trying to drag your hand in the water at 90mph and you can understand the forces acting on the grate. 30mph under water drag is like MACH 1 in the air.... (or something close to that)

I wouldnt worry too much about the rumors, realize no matter how hard you work at doing the right thing, there will always be those who try to tear down your accomplishment.

Jerry, we applaud you for undertaking this step to help with everyones safety and hope that rumors will subside.... We know you had a large monetary expense from your own pocket getting this off the ground, and that can get anyone edgy about ungrounded critisism and rumors ( believe me, I know)
    Soon there will be empirical data comparing the grates available and all the questions will be laid to rest.

a comparison would be.......... a 1200 r&d grate is slower then a stock grate at 71 mph....... but would any of us who know the dangers and/or have been hurt by the stock intake grate even consider sacrificing a few bucks or tenths of mph to take that risk? I doubt it.....

Personally I feel like this grate will be as fast, or possibly faster (due to stability of metal) but even if it came out a little slower, thats nothing compared to the piece of mind it offers.
    Well said David. Jerry does VERY thorough testing on everything that he releases with his name on it. He will not release it if it doesnt perform as he wants it to. If it was slower, he would tell us. He wasnt happy with the first prototypes because of the shrinking etc. Some people would just release it and say you had to enlarge the holes to make it fit etc.

Good job Jerry, and keep up the good work.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsntx View Post
    Well said David. Jerry does VERY thorough testing on everything that he releases with his name on it. He will not release it if it doesnt perform as he wants it to. If it was slower, he would tell us. He wasnt happy with the first prototypes because of the shrinking etc. Some people would just release it and say you had to enlarge the holes to make it fit etc.

Good job Jerry, and keep up the good work.
    Good point
    Rather then release a product until its been tested thoroughly,Jerry exposes it to non-biased very well respected testers for their comments/suggestions (tommy and rich)

like you said, before he puts his name on it , it will be right.... and I believe that

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RUNWME View Post
    Good point
    Rather then release a product until its been tested thoroughly,Jerry exposes it to non-biased very well respected testers for their comments/suggestions (tommy and rich)

like you said, before he puts his name on it , it will be right.... and I believe that
    I agree, Jerry isn't going to do anything until he is satisfied with it. He needs one just as bad as we do.

Weight is totaly irrelevant.

+1
    Looks like somebody out there is jeleous and wants to prevent sales.

Wow, why would the weight of the grate even matter? Once it is connect to the hull it weighs just as much as the ski. It is "one" with the ski. Hell it could weigh 20 lbs and I don't think it would make much difference as long as it was connected to the hull good.

Jealousy at its finest!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Looks like somebody out there is jeleous and wants to prevent sales.
    That's how I read it as well.. Jerry, is there another A/M company currently working on developing a SS grate?? This could be a phish for info..

I think if he wanted to do some real damage (or attempt to) he would have just posted it to the forum, not just a PM to Jerry.

+1
    Ok this is simple.. If you own a GPR - Buy the Grate!

You wouldn't ride on tires that could explode at any minute - Would you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information