Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

replacement of motor mount(s)

so when i bought my ski i was told the one motor mount was bad. when i was riding last i found a shim at the bottom of the hull no doubt from that bad motor mount.

should i replace just the one mount or all 4? my instincts tell me to replace all 4. but im sorta kinda hard up for money right now and have other things i need to do so if i can get away just doing one it would be great. i do plan to completly pull the motor this fall to.

second when i replace the mount or mounts can i just reuse the old shims or do i have to re shim the engine. im assuming the shims are not for the mount but for the the fact of imperfections in the hull

From experience I would definately say REPLACE ALL OF THEM at the same time. I'm currently working through motor mount issues with my FX.

+1
    I suspect engine mounts compress over time, so I would think replacing all of them is the right way to go. Maybe someone else has some input?

BTW you can reuse the shims.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i was out riding with my friend over the weekend.. he has an 04 gp1300r..

both rear mounts totally ripped apart... had to tow it back, couldn't even idle the ski back motor was all over the place... i bet the dampener in the driveshaft coupler is wrecked too, huh

i'm going to be replacing all 4 for him since two already went, and i'm sure the front 2 are fatigued after that much stress and bouncing after the rear two broke...

any tips or tricks on replacing all the motor mounts? ... gotta pull the entire exhaust off and order all new gaskets also?

+1
    I can tell you how I saw someone else change the mounts:

He unbolted the engine mounts on one side, and loosened the ones on the other side. Then he used a ratcheting strap going from one side of the engine down to the trailer to slightly raise one side of the engine. With some patience, you can get the mounts out and replaced. Then do the other side of the engine. This was all done without removing the U pipe, just the stinger and carbs.

I was a little dubious at first, but it worked like a charm.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    any tips or tricks on replacing all the motor mounts? ... gotta pull the entire exhaust off and order all new gaskets also?
    I dont think you need to pull the exhuast out. Just the stinger. You can get to all four of them by sliding the motor back then forward. I did this last year when replacing the intermediate shaft.

+1
    there 82 bucks a piece im gona have to hold off and just replace one for now and inspect the other ones. by the time i get 4 and shipping it would be close to 400.

i didn't realize how expensive they were till i just looked i thought they would be 30-40 bucks a piece. i replace the other 3 in the fall.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i'm just throwing WSM GPR mounts in my friends ski... they are 44 bucks each.... less than 200 for all 4 shipped

that's good news about the exhaust, thank god... i been dreading this job, but if i only gotta take the stinger out it shouldn't be too bad at all

+1
    Shibby1485 where do i get those?

+1
    Check boats.net for pricing. I saw where they were $58

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information