Boating NOOB needs help!

Hey guys,
    I have many questions (some are very newbie!) please help me out if you can.

First a disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about boating. I know how jets/engines/work but i have no idea about boating application (which is better than the other). I know that jets allow a shallower draft, but what about sucking in weeds and such? big issue? dont want to get stranded somewhere!

Second, i cant swim. Is it advisable to learn how before even considering a boat?

Those are my disclaimers! Now the background:

I love power toys. cars, planes, boats, bikes, i love them all. The fiance and i went jet ski'ing last year and had the absolute time of our lives!

So here are the questions:
    First i started loooking at a new 2008 Challenger 180. As i understand, the ceramic washer issue was fixed in 2008, but then they used some coating that has yet to be proven.

It was suggested (on another forum) to start with a used Challenger 1800, as they are more reliable?

Upon searching the C1800, i stumbled across the ~2003 Utopia 205 V6. It seems to be a good choice also!

I am so damn confused on what to look for/whats the best option. I want to use it for just cruising around the local lakes, and possibly going out to a local island off the coast of california (its 25 miles off the coast) called catalina. Ive been told that the 18' boat will have a hard time crossing this 25 mile gap.

Anyway, i look forward to your opinions!!!

Well, if you can swing around 22-24K try getting a 2006 Utopia SE. This is the first year they have 4-TEC engines in it which are very reliable. With gas prices as they are you should be able to pick up a 2006 for around that price.....

the 4tec supercharged ones? i thought the sc'ed engines where not as reliable as the old v6 ones? was the 240hp v6 from the ~03 a 4stroke or 2?

and also, would you feel comfortable taking your utopia on a 25 mile across the ocean voyage? did you decide not to sell yours?

Tarpon Springs, FL
    The Utopia's didn't get superchargers till 2008 so no need to worry about the washers in earlier years. If I had the proper saftey equipment I wouldn't hesitate taking it 25 miles out.

League City, Texas
    welcome to the forum

Dover, DE... Again :(
    welcome to the forum. Never buy a new boat.

no seriously, if a boat s taken care of and well maintained by the owner, it will perform fine and last for many years.

As far as swimming, just wear a life vest. I swim like a retarded rodent, but I can tread water forever. If im on the boat alone, I always wear a vest.

As for the 25 mile trek... depends how the water is there. I was out 20 miles here on saturday, and a 18 foot pontoon boat could have been out there, it was that smooth. I would recommend keeping a keen eye on the weather, know your personal limits, as well as the boats. Your personal limits may well be less than the boats ( I know mine are ) and if possible, make the first trip with a friend in another boat. And carry a VHF.

Lakeland, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by revlis240
    Second, i cant swim. Is it advisable to learn how before even considering a boat?
    I mean, you'll have a life jacket, but, the small effort it takes to learn to swim makes it a no-brainer.

I wouldn't want to be crossing any stretch of ocean in anything less than 20 feet. Just a 25 knot wind on a small lake is scary enough in my 15.4' boat. I think the C180 is only 17 and a half, and if you like power, has the worst power-to-weight ratio of anything Sea-Doo sells. Good recommendation to look at the earlier non-supercharged 4-tec Utopias. Those engines have been described as bulletproof (as long as you don't try to up their horsepower).

Yes I was going to sell mine to free up some extra $$$ but when push came to shove I just couldn't give it up. I love my Utopia and am very happy with it. The 2006 boats have twin 4-TEC non-S/C'd engines in it. Trust me, you'll be very happy with it. I was considering moving up to a S/C version next year but I just couldn't handle my modding bug and the price of premium fuel in a 40 gal tank.

As far as trips, I've taken it on 150 mile trips with the family and have had no problems. The boat is a couple inches shy of 20'. The thing I like about it most is that you can make a boat that looks like a traditional runabout dance like a PWC. I take my friends and family out and scare the bejesus out of them. It's truly a thrill......
    Last edited by spd5535; 04-25-2008 at 08:05 AM.

Thread Information