Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

salt water ultra.

HI guys and gals... i want to run my ultra in the ocean.. its been a fresh water ski tis entire life... my friend just got a ski and now were going to make a beach trip with the girlfriends. and ride.. what should i do to prep?? or is this just a bad idea.. i dont know much about salt water running..

South Atlanta white trash MILF Hunta's Avatar
    +1
    This is what I do after every SALT water ride:
    Let it run for 2-3 mins on the hose and hand wash it with car wash soap. Then I dry eveything I can get my hand into with a big towel (inside and out), then WD-40 the engine. Of course I'm weird too...

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Use Fluid Film on the engine - never wd-40!!!!

Fluid Film is the best corrosion preventive product and general purpose lubricant....it also happens to be environmentally freindlier which is somewhat rare for a top notch product.

Do a search on "Fluid Film" here on Greenhulk. If you have more questions, shoot me a PM.

awesome guys anything i should bring or get ready for???

salt water

Ive taken a few trips to the ocean with a 150 and I would recommend a wet suit as well as a watertight bag for your cell phone and stuff. Everything will get wet.

Biggest thing is knowing the area your going to ride. Things like when the tide goes out and location of sand bars you might want to avoid have made a difference in my trips before.

After I rode I went to the nearest carwash and rinsed down EVERYTHING before I made the trip home. You want to make sure you clean any salt residue off the underside of your motor and carbs. The carbs always seem to be the area that people forget.

Good luck, you'll have a blast.
    Last edited by Shogun; 04-27-2008 at 08:53 AM.

+1
    You fresh water guys are spoiled. Every single ride me an my buddies take is in salt water, not much of a choice.

I have a ultra lx. Can I spay the engine compartment and engine off. after a salt water run.

+1
    I have been using WD-40 for years,ever since late 2001 when the corrosion on my carbs in my XLL finally became corrosion inside my carbs,ruining all the little passage ways,expensive lesson.Anyway,I am sure Fluid Film is an awsome product,but until you get some shipped to you spray the WD-40 all over the engine.I prevented outside corrosion on my 03' 12F,and the engine still looks like new..Also,super important,use a product called "Salt-Away" inside your engine.It connects to the flush port and pumps a safe bio degradeable soap through the engine eating some already formed corrosion and recent salt.I have taken apart 2-strokes and seen the positive effects personally.I use it after every ride,and best off all you can use it with the mixer to wash your exterior,great stuff...Good luck...

GTI SE 155
    +1 on salt-away. I use salt terminator (same stuff), hose down everything, dry it all off, then spray the engine, all metal, battery posts, pump area, all with fluid film. Ski looks like new!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information