cavitation what is wrong?

Well I just removed my pump that sure was easy. The only problem I have now is that I do not have years of experience on jet drives. If I did I would only be fixing what is wrong and not a few other things that I think may be wrong. That is why I like to learn things in great depth so I do not waste extra time and money. Well now that I have it some what apart I notice that impeller has a very deep gouge in it. I looked at the seal where it seals to ride shoe and the only things I have noticed is that the seal looks kind of dry roted and that where the wear ring seats up against it looks bad on wear ring side. If you have ever seen a bumper on a seadoo it has a thin lip of plastic that is used to hold it in place. the wear ring allso has a thin lip of plastic but I do not think it is used to hold it in place. Well any way the thin lip on the wear ring is probly over looked as it is laying down smooth. well on mine there is a section about 1-1/2 inches long where this plastic is rolled in the wrong direction. I am not sure if these are the problems or not. any advice is surly apreciated. Robin
    Last edited by rlloyd; 04-27-2008 at 12:30 PM.

Your cavitation is most likely being caused from the gauge in your impeller. If you choose to use it and not replace it, send the impeller to www.impros.com and get it repaired and cleaned up, back to new condition. If you have gauges in your wear ring make sure to replace that too. Go stainless if you have a S/C engine......Good luck

Photos the deep gouge can be seen best in photo 4 it is at top center other impeller blade to left has a ding in it as well. looks as if it sucked a piece of rebar in between the 2 blades
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seadoo jet pump 3 006.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	522.5 KB 
ID:	69786   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seadoo jet pump 2 004.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	378.4 KB 
ID:	69787   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seadoo jet pump 2 010.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	341.5 KB 
ID:	69788   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seadoo jet pump 3 004.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	386.0 KB 
ID:	69789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seadoo jet pump 2 006.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	448.6 KB 
ID:	69790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seadoo jet pump 3 007.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	340.4 KB 
ID:	69791  

could also be the carbon ring if your model has one, which is the drive shaft seal

Have that impeller either repaired or replaced, also change the wear ring inside the pump (plastic sleeve where the impeller rides into), and for that lip that is reversed foe 1 inch and 1/2, yes correct this also, it should get your problem resolved, and if not well you'll gain anyway from it.

not to hijack the thread, but has anyone had cavitation with an aftermarket prop? my boat had a lot of cavitation with aftermarket skat-track props, but not with the stock props (twin-engine boat)

Thread Information