Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Jet pump stator+nozzle slightly rotated?

On both my 2002 Virage TXi and the 2004 MSX140, I have noticed that the reverse bucket, steering nozzle, and the jet pump stator are all slightly rotated anti-clockwise. Not loose - everything is tight, just not lined up with vertical.

The steering nozzle axis is not vertical, but instead points towards about 5 degrees to the left (see pictures). Turning left aims the nozzle slightly downwards, and turning right aims the nozzle upwards.

Is this normal/intentional, or is this the unwanted result of the Polaris jet pump not having any mechanical indexing between the modular pump segments?

It seems that friction between the pump sections is the only thing resisting the torque from the pump stator vanes. Those long bolts cannot prevent the stator from rotating, except when it rotates far enough that the bolts bind against the stator 'ears'.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4279855.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	69887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4279856.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	69888  

www.springbreak-florida.com rgard32's Avatar
    I say dont worry about it and ride it like a rental...but thats me lol.

+1
    Keith, Loosen the 4 bolts holding it all together and then rotate the bucket so that it is level and tighten it up .

Bernie

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Keith, Loosen the 4 bolts holding it all together and then rotate the bucket so that it is level and tighten it up .

Bernie
    Oh, I am going to do that.

I was thinking that when I re-assemble the stator section, I might pre-rotate it anti-clockwise, so that the long bolts are just about binding against the stator ears. Hopefully, when it tries to rotate next time, the bolts will resist.

Or I may put some kind of sleeve around the bolts where they pass through the stator ears, to fill up the gap.

I suppose I could put some bonding agent (Locktite, perhaps) on the mating surfaces between stator-extension-pump base section. Would probably have the side effect of making pump removal next time a little harder...

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    My guess is the long bolts just got some stretch at first. Set it up straight and retighten.I think you'll be fine.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

monday

bet it was assembled on a monday or right before the pump guys break

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    Bet it was assembled on a Monday or right before the pump guys break
    Two out of my three pumps are like that (1 Virage, 1 MSX), slightly twisted to the left.

Perhaps the long bolts stretched a little, and allowed the stator to rotate. Perhaps it wasn't quite as tight as it needed to be from the factory.

But it really should have been manufactured with some sort of indexing between each modular pump section, to keep it all aligned.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Additional maching and set-up means additional cost to the ski.Sure it was the reason for not having it.But it had to be a minor problem as they didn't correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Two out of my three pumps are like that (1 Virage, 1 MSX), slightly twisted to the left.

Perhaps the long bolts stretched a little, and allowed the stator to rotate. Perhaps it wasn't quite as tight as it needed to be from the factory.

But it really should have been manufactured with some sort of indexing between each modular pump section, to keep it all aligned.
    Aren't the stator "ears" there for indexing?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCaprice View Post
    Aren't the stator "ears" there for indexing?
    The ears do keep the stator from rotating a large amount, but they cannot prevent the whole assembly (extension ring+stator+nozzle) from shifting a few degrees.

The long bolts depend on the nozzle staying put, and the nozzle depends on the stator not turning. The stator ears need the long bolts to not shift. Circular dependency, hence the rotation.

As the nozzle+stator does rotate, the long bolts become angled, and the clamping pressure increases. At some point, it all stops turning.

I recall someone had posted about a bracket they fashioned to connect the pump rear section (at the nozzle, under the upper bolt heads) up to the under side of the rear deck. They said it kept the end of the extended pump from getting bumped upward (and stressing the pump mount to the hull), but I can see it would also keep the nozzle, and the long bolt ends, from rotating.

I will straighten everything out on my two, and torque it all to spec. Will keep an eye on it...
    Last edited by K447; 04-29-2008 at 05:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information