Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Mudbug Hard Luck Story

Well, I got my RR stage 3 engine back on the Friday before MB. Our plan was to leave for MB early Thursday morning. So I have less than a week to get it together and dialed in, but I start bustin ass to get it done. I got it all back together on Saturday and water tested on Sunday. RPMs were way down and I was taking on water. Turns out I had installed the IC water lines backwards and a hose clamp on the thru hull exhaust broke. Fixed those and got the RPMs up, but still taking on water. The carbon ring was toast. Monday I ordered a new carbon ring and bellow and put them on Tuesday. Wednesday, I take it to the lake to test, and it sinks completely - only the nose out of the water by the time I get it to the trailer. The C-clip had popped off the drive shaft. I wok until 3:30 Thursday morning to get all the water out of the engine, change the oil 5 times and get it back together. I take it to the lake Thursday morning to boil the remaining water out of the oil. I run it on the trailer for 45 minutes and it seems to be running pretty good. Then it sucks up the tie down strap I left on the rear of the ski. At that point, I gave up and took my stock ski to MB.

Despite all of this, I had an awesome time at MB on a bone stock ski.

+1
    Man that is tough. Next year you will have more time to prepare and you will run 80+

your bone stock goes 75+

21-28
    Franko 75.2 RXP

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Re: Mudbug Hard Luck Story

Quote Originally Posted by Franko
    Turns out I had installed the IC water lines backwards
    ok now.... we all gotta learn from mistakes. sorry about the course of events Franko

but the IC water lines... why does it matter which way they go on? this is one i haven't heard before. i've hooked up intercoolers to the garden hose from both ends and they flow the same no matter what, but now i'm second guessing that after reading your post. are the cores actually designed to receive water in one flow direction better than the other?

+1
    Shibby, that puzzled me too. I figured it wouldn't make any difference which way the water travelled in and out. But all I did was put in a new clamp on the exhaust and switched the water lines and I gained 500 RPM. I can't explain it.

+1
    Sorry to hear about all that Franko, that kind of shit always seems to happen when your rushing

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinchyle
    your bone stock goes 75+

21-28
    Franko 75.2 RXP
    That run was on Jarrett's ski.

Most heat exchangers are designed to have the coldest water remove heat from the warmest air. In other words the air from the SC hits the heat exchanger where the water is entering first. The reason for this is that heat flows faster where there is a larger temperature difference. All things being even, the greater the temp difference the faster the heat flow. If the lines are reversed the coldest water is entering the heat exchanger where the coldest air is leaving. The delta between the water and air is not as great, and therefore the heat flow is not as fast or efficient.

Santa Monika, People's Republik of Kalifornia...
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Franko
    I run it on the trailer for 45 minutes
    Sorry for the tough luck Frank but I sure wouldn't run any ski on the hose for 45 minutes, that's very bad for the pump bearings, because they rely on lake/ocean water to get cooled. On the hose they're basically in open air and tend to overheat.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by 11
    Sorry for the tough luck Frank but I sure wouldn't run any ski on the hose for 45 minutes, that's very bad for the pump bearings, because they rely on lake/ocean water to get cooled. On the hose they're basically in open air and tend to overheat.
    11, I'm not nearly as dumb as I look The trailer was in the water when I ran it to boil the water out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information