Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Arrow Results: RXP-X Cut Intake Grate

This weekend I broke down and decided to cut the wings off of my intake grate. In addition to cutting the wings off I sharpened every edge that comes into contact with the water. I also cut the lip off the reverse bucket. I had filled the rideplate holes too but found that after my first run they all came out, so I will fill them next weekend and see if I pick up more speed.

Results: My ski has 6 hours on it, stock air intake, stock prop, just cut reverse bucket and cut grate.

Before the cutting I was running 69.8 @ 8120 RPM constantly

After the cutting I could hit atleast 72.3 @ 8140 every time with the occasional 72.8 @ 8180 in perfect water conditions. In addition to the extra speed I truly believe the ski accelerates from a dig and pulls from midrange harder because the massive waterbrake is gone now, which is backed up by about a 40 RPM gain.

On the downside, there is no doubt the ski doesn't hook up as well. Some guys have reported no difference and it begs the question, how do they define rough water and hook-up? The ski still hooks up better than a standard 215 RXP but like I said, there is a difference in hook-up and how the rear of the ski feels.

The motor spins more freely now as well, not just by sound, but by feel too. I raced an RXT after the cut. He said to let him go first and then come after him. I left maybe 3-4 seconds after he did and in 30 yards I had caught him and in no time put about 10 ski lengths on him.

I will plug my rideplate holes next weekend and see if I can't get in the mid 73's.
    Before:

After:

Last edited by MPower; 04-28-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Nice!! I cant believe that makes so much of a difference. I was thinking about doing the same to mine. What did you use to sharpen the edges??

I hate things that don't work! SearayEX12's Avatar
    Just watch that buck. It will be interesting to see what happens. When you say you lost some hook up, do you mean while running in a chop, from a holeshot run, or just while turning in general? Great increase though.

I have bought an extra grate for mine but, having recieved the RIVA package (minus grate and impeller), figured on waiting on the rest based upon the "Bucking" reports. I would love to be kept in the loop regarding your success.

Barry

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    our rxp only bucked when we got over 77mph on glass water.

+1
    Now get a wedge and I bet you will get atleast 74mph, 75 in cool conditions. It did not buck once on me going between 73 and 75 several times.

+1
    Please be careful I ve seen a ski buck running 73-75mph over a long period of time at WOT.
    Short runs i can t see it happening its over time it backs up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman View Post
    Nice!! I cant believe that makes so much of a difference. I was thinking about doing the same to mine. What did you use to sharpen the edges??
    One of these guys...

Quote Originally Posted by SearayEX12 View Post
    Just watch that buck. It will be interesting to see what happens. When you say you lost some hook up, do you mean while running in a chop, from a holeshot run, or just while turning in general? Great increase though.
    Running in chop mainly. Holeshot is stronger, ski will come out of the water one click below neutral. I'm still deciding whether I like it or not, I may go back to a stock intake grate because the stock hook-up is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by ba6636 View Post
    I have bought an extra grate for mine but, having recieved the RIVA package (minus grate and impeller), figured on waiting on the rest based upon the "Bucking" reports. I would love to be kept in the loop regarding your success.

Barry
    Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by beachbum0286 View Post
    Now get a wedge and I bet you will get atleast 74mph, 75 in cool conditions. It did not buck once on me going between 73 and 75 several times.
    That is interesting. I got these speeds 2 clicks up from neutral. Does a wedge act the same as trimming all the way up or is it a a completely different angle?

Do you think testing an 84mm nozzle on the X would be playing with fire?

Nice report, I'm waiting on the Riva grate. I can tell it was killing you. Hopefully not waiting til X-mas

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik72e View Post
    Please be careful I ve seen a ski buck running 73-75mph over a long period of time at WOT.
    Short runs i can t see it happening its over time it backs up.
    Good advice. I had read all the reports of the X ski bucking and was very cautious in my test. I experienced the buck on my GPR and a fellow rider almost broke his leg on my ski because of the buck. The key on my GPR was to let out slow and stay on the back of the ski.

I have almost 2 hours on the X with this cut grate. No signs of the buck yet whether a short speed run or 1+ mile long speed runs.

I do think I will stop here however. Rideplate holes should get me past 73 mph and im calling it quits until the RIVA prop and grate come out.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information