Thread: 1050 Big Bore

1050 Big Bore

What will I be looking at price wise for doing a 1050? My motor grenaded on me and figured if insurance is going to pay for it i'm gonna get as much out of them as I can. I haven't got the motor out yet but probably going to do a complete rebuild anyway so what would I be looking at crank and all for a rec boat?

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    when does insurance cover a motor grenading?

I figured it did if you got full coverage.

+1
    mine is covered.

That's kinda what I figured, but anyway this has nothing to do with insurance it was just a statement I was wanting to know how much a big bore kit would cost for a rec boat on 92 octane.

It can range depending on what type of pistons you use and whether you use a good crank or a crappy crank. I have a 1050 motor sitting in a box ready for shipping with a rebuilt trued and balanced OEM crank and Franko flat top pistons. The crank/pistons/cylinder have zero hours on them. I have apx $1600 in it because the pistons were close to $700. If you want it, I will sell it for what I have in it and you can keep your current engine as a spare. The math is easy, the cases and cylinder core were $400, the crank was $450, the pistons were $700 and the gaskets were $50. Shipping from me will probably wash out to be the same or less than what you would spend for the machine work. You can definitely build for cheaper if you use your own core and cheaper parts, but this is ready to ship now and the work is done right.

FYI, to reap the most from a 1050, you will probably also want to look into upgrading/machining your head, better reeds and playing with carb options. Ben Herman is the authority on how to do the most with a 951 for the least amount of money with or without going to big bore. Do a quick search here on the boards and you should find a wealth of information thanks to his efforts.

Ya i just figured out today that it only has liability on it so im back to square one. What would be the best parts to put in it while keeping it reasonably priced. Also i'm going to have to punch the cylinders out so what could I do to get some more power out of it.

A little carb work can go a long way and doesn't have to cost much, machining your head is pretty cheap too. Read some of Ben Herman's posts (yudlose2). Everything you want to know probably lies in the posts he has already written here.

Thread Information