used ski please help

Is it a good idea to buy a used ski. I have gotten some people who say never buy one. I was wondering what you guys thought or some exp you have had good or bad. And is there any thing I should look for engine/hull/makes modles and year.

barnegat bay
    first off, it's not "bad" to buy a used ski but there are certain precautions you should take. First thing I would look at is the condition of the hull. For example, Any major marks or dents or delamination. I would see how many hours on the machine and see if it's a decent amount for the year of the ski. I would also ask the owner how often the ski has been to they dealer for service or anything else. If possible try to get it in the water and see how it runs. Lastly, I would check and see what the average value for that ski is. I think I covered some of the most important thingsnto look for, but if not I am sure someone else will cover it.
    Last edited by italianstallion314; 04-28-2008 at 12:25 PM.

I hate things that don't work! SearayEX12's Avatar
    Alexandria Bay, NY
    What stallion said is all right. I would literally get right under the machine and check the hull and even the condition of the drive shaft. If the driveshaft has any rustspots on it, this may mean that it wasn't properly maintained or sprayed down after running in salt. Also check to see if you can turn the supercharger by hand. If it is not what the owner advertised it to be, then run away.

Catawba Island, Ohio
    Make sure you take it for a 10-15 minute ride to make sure that it idles, cruises and runs wide open without missing, smoking or causing Chk Eng alarms. If the seller won't let you test it, walk away. It would be nice to buy a used ski that still has some BRP extended warranty left. That could save lot$ of money in the future. Check the hull for water to make sure that there are no leaks from the engine, hull or carbon ring... Ron

Thread Information