Thread: 1989 650 sx

1989 650 sx

I just bought a 89 650 sx and it is hard to start. I was thinking about putting a primmer kit on it. Has anyone done this and is it recommended if so do you know what brand the carb is so i can order the correct part. Thanks for your help.

BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH

Talking

do u have the stock carb?
    u can just buy the primer kit

I have done it

I have an 89 650sx with a 46 mm Mikuni carb. The primer kit is incredible. 2 pumps and it starts better than a new one. I highly recommend one.

A primer will make it easier to start, but its not the correct fix. If your ski is hard to start there is a problem somewhere, probably with the carb.
    Check your jetting and pop off pressure to make sure everything is dialed in correctly. If its not set up right you could be running rich or lean when you are running it. A correctly tuned carb should start clean. The only exception is when its been stored for extended periods of time, long enough for the fuel to evaporate.

yes... actually i have... its ok... i still like using ether better.... nothing that a lil starting fluid cant fix!

Quote Originally Posted by fbsmith View Post
    I just bought a 89 650 sx and it is hard to start. I was thinking about putting a primmer kit on it. Has anyone done this and is it recommended if so do you know what brand the carb is so i can order the correct part. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by waterdoglouie View Post
    A primer will make it easier to start, but its not the correct fix. If your ski is hard to start there is a problem somewhere, probably with the carb.
    Check your jetting and pop off pressure to make sure everything is dialed in correctly. If its not set up right you could be running rich or lean when you are running it. A correctly tuned carb should start clean. The only exception is when its been stored for extended periods of time, long enough for the fuel to evaporate.
    now that i think about it.. i do agree with that.... but i always keep a lil can o starting fluid aside!

+1

Wink not ether

use sea doo lube. it's flammable and has lubricant in it. ether doesn't and can cause a siezure.

+1
    Ether is pretty rough on engines. Only use it as a last resort.

A primer is very beneficial. Even it the carb is perfect, it won't start right off the bat if it's been sitting a couple of weeks. With a primer, it will start instantly. This saves your starter and your battery.

There have been some instances of plastic fittings breaking. Use brass T fittings on your installation.

Thread Information