Question FX hull conversion project

Hey guys I've got what I consider a totaled out FX 140. I'm throwing around the idea of totally gutting it and building something high performance/reliable. I've read a lot on this forum of GP builds. Lots of knowledge here. I really like the ride/feel of the FX hull especially in the rough stuff, open ocean arena. I've spent a good couple of hours this past weekend looking and reading SHIBBY's build and I've just become inspired. Is the FX hull a good canidate? I'd like to see mid 70's which I think could be attained. I'm open to different engine setups. I am leaning toward a custom turbo/intercooled MR1 powerplant. Just wondering what you guys thought about the idea.

Also I know that the aftermarket doesn't really support the FX so could any of the parts be adapted from the RXP or GP?

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Lug View Post
    Also I know that the aftermarket doesn't really support the FX so could any of the parts be adapted from the RXP or GP?
    maybe look at the thread that D.P. made of his 1390 build he put a 1200 motor and added triples and had it doing 76+

Could you send a link please?

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Lug View Post
    Could you send a link please?
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44284
    post #4 the triple pipe fx i was talking about that has a 1200 motor with triples.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was searching for.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    wow dude... i feel extremely honored/flattered that i was able to inspire you in some way..give you a little extra nudge over the edge to pursue your own custom build as well. sorry it took you a few hours on the weekend to read it all tho haha.. i am a bit winded at times, and that thread got a little lengthy if you hadn't been following it from the start

the FX is a nice looking boat, a great comfortable machine with pretty good handling for a 3-seater... your obstacle in building a more high performance MR1 for a turbo or something would be finding ways to build it stronger and get companies to make you valves/springs and such and a more reliable cylinder head. you'd also be pioneering engine management alternatives to put that kind of horsepower to a MR1 motor... i'm not in the loop much on all the current parts available for the MR1 engines and how extensively people have played with those engines internally.

if you are up to the task, go for it!! or "settle" for still a very labor intensive project and change your mindset to putting a powerplant with more known power adders in the FX hull instead like an RXP engine or a worked GPR motor.

tons of avenues to choose from.... just make sure you have lots of patience

good luck, keep us posted on what u decide

Thread Information