Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Help

Newbie Help

All,
    OK I am new at the Jet Ski world and have many newbie questions. First off I just bought a 2006 RXT and please don't discourage me from this since it is my first I want the best. So if you all can help me on what to learn from you guys as far as rideing, tricks, mods and other stuff. I don't want to spend any money right now since it did cost me 11,000 for this thing.

1. But is there any ideas to get good speed without mods right now?

2. Any tips for rideing I.E. body shifting, leaning, jumping waves?

3. What is the stock speed of the RXT? I heard 70 plus out of the box. I seen reviews 64.5 MPH.

4. Future mods to be realistic. Price VS Speed.

Thanks guys...

First off WELCOME!!!

We won't chase you away, this is THE place for seadoo supercharged skis. Before we start answering all of your questions take a look at this post http://www.greenhulk.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4236

Also take a look at everything in the Technicial forum http://www.greenhulk.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

Now if you still have questions just ask and we will be happy to answer. The one thing I will answer now because you won't find it if you don't know what to look for is the proper riding position for top speed. It is known as the "superman"

what the hell is that you ask?

lookie here:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	superman_868.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	561.7 KB 
ID:	4202  

Welcome to our sport hope you enjoy your ski as much as I do mine.As far as mods without spending money there is not a lot to do. Since you are new to jetsking just enjoy riding for now and use your own style,I wouldn't recommend starting out with the superman.It will give you your best speed though. The RXT is not a real manuveably ski but really great for cruising and for rough water.Your speedometer may show 70 but actual speed probably between 64 and 65 on a stock RXT.There are a few mods that can be done for a minimal amout of money you will find them all on this sight.Good luck and enjoy your ski.

+1
    good choice on ski's....Any questions feel free to ask...as for now get some hrs behind your belt before modifying the ski...And welcome to the site that just keeps you spending....

welcome to the site. all the information u will ever need about ur ski can be found on here. have fun with ur ski and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Great help

Thanks guys for not turning me away. I just drove this weekend for my first 4 hours break in period so far and I never ran past 5000 RPM's. It was real quick out of the shoot. I am amazed of these watercraft and speed. I am a speed freak on cards but this thing hauls ass on water. I am going to Lake Isabella on 4th of July weekend after the 10 hour period and going balls to the wall. I heard it is a great lake for jet ski's.

I read a lot about mods and one thing i was thinking is removing the OPAS system since this provides some drag. Will it increase speed?

Also, what about the sponson kits. Will they increase speed and provide better handling?

I was wondering someone mentioned here that the RXT does not handle good. I thought the RXP and RXT hull design is exactly the same. What is different in handleling of these two models besides the VTS that the RXP has.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Re: Newbie Help

Quote Originally Posted by golson
    1. But is there any ideas to get good speed without mods right now?

2. Any tips for rideing I.E. body shifting, leaning, jumping waves?

3. What is the stock speed of the RXT? I heard 70 plus out of the box. I seen reviews 64.5 MPH.

4. Future mods to be realistic. Price VS Speed.Thanks guys...
    1. to GET speed without doing anything is impossible, unless u find a tail wind and a current.

2. if u want to jump waves, don't jsut blast thru everything at top speed. it's all about timing and applying throttle at the right moment. these big newer skis don't have the ability to jump high just merely by going straight at a wave int he surf pretty fast. rather, approach a wave at a slow speed like 15mph so that the ski isn't on plane. yo want the nose up as high as possible. just as you are about to appraoch the wave like 5 feet before it nail the throttle wide open... just as you the ski leaves the wave, let go of the throttle. u don't want to be airborne with the ski revving at wide open throttle. turning and body positioning will vary. best thing is spending alot of time on your own learning your own techniques and learning your machines in your conditions.

3. stock speed will be anywhere from 64-66 depending on rider weight and conditions.

4. price vs speed. the first 3-5mph come pretty easily, after that you get into some pricey stuff. what state do u live in? with average temps and low humidity, you can get your ski to do 70+ on radar/GPS pretty easily, and doing a LEGIT 70 will beat most of the skis u confront in everyday riding. the speedometer is a liar, so don't judge ACTUAL speed by it.

big bangs for the buck on an RXT are OPAS block offs, air intake, SOLAS prop, Riva sponsons, pump wedge, filling rideplate holes, and attention to small detail...and an exhaust if u don't mind jsut a little extra noise. after that it's more expensive stuff like intercoolers and superchargers and ECUs.

Stage 1 Kit

I think with all th input a stage 1 kit is the best bang for the buck. Anyway, I live in san diego and possibly moving to fort walton beach in a couple months. I heard it is great to ski down there to.

Re: Great help

Thanks guys for not turning me away. I just drove this weekend for my first 4 hours break in period so far and I never ran past 5000 RPM's. It was real quick out of the shoot. I am amazed of these watercraft and speed. I am a speed freak on cards but this thing hauls ass on water. I am going to Lake Isabella on 4th of July weekend after the 10 hour period and going balls to the wall. I heard it is a great lake for jet ski's.

I read a lot about mods and one thing i was thinking is removing the OPAS system since this provides some drag. Will it increase speed?

Also, what about the sponson kits. Will they increase speed and provide better handling?

I was wondering someone mentioned here that the RXT does not handle good. I thought the RXP and RXT hull design is exactly the same. What is different in handleling of these two models besides the VTS that the RXP has.
    Wlecome to the forum Dude!,
    The RXT is longer and heavier than the RXP.
    Sponsons will make it handle and turn better.
    Removing the OPAS and installing a complete block off kit will reduce drag, I think the speed gain is minimal, but it all adds up.
    A pump wedge kit will pick the nose up and give ya a little more speed, again with better handling and a drier ride. It all depends on your weight/height and whether you ride more 2 up or solo to determine what degree wedge would better suit your needs.

For example: I am 200lbs, 5'6" and mostly ride 2 up, occasionally ride solo, so I have the R&D aquavien 2.5 degree wedge which works perfect for my set up.

a real cheap gain believe it or not, is to keep the hull clean and waxed, keeping it real slick will let it glide thru the water with less effort.
    I personally use Meguiar`s products: #54 Gel wash, #45 Boat polish, and #56 Boat wax, does a really nice job...Well good luck with your new ski and introduction to the sport, and enjoy and please ride safe!...PR...

Re: Great help

[quote="Pale Rider"]

a real cheap gain believe it or not, is to keep the hull clean and waxed, keeping it real slick will let it glide thru the water with less effort.
    I personally use Meguiar`s products: #54 Gel wash, #45 Boat polish, and #56 Boat wax, does a really nice job...Well good luck with your new ski and introduction to the sport, and enjoy and please ride safe!...PR...
    I use 1000grit sandpaper front to back and RainX boat wash

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information