+1

Is there any problems Towing a FX140 with a boat.

I want to know if there are any problems towing a FX140 jetski with a boat while the jetski is not on. I'm asking this to see if i could tow the jetski with my boat and stay in the water with the jetski and boat. Someone told me once that when the jetski is not working towing it is not a good idea because it gets water ????

+1
    i can answer for sure but i have hear that if you tow a ski the watter will be forced in to the exhaust pipe and back into the cylinders. but i could be wrong. check the owners manual

you need a ball valve in your intake water line. otherwise you will push water into your motor. i just built one for my seadoo that i plan to tow with my yamaha.

+1
    all skis have differences, the owners manual does cover this topic.

u can tow it up to like 5mph, but if u put the check-valve in then you can cruise at 100+

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TRuBLuE01 View Post
    u can tow it up to like 5mph, but if u put the check-valve in then you can cruise at 100+
    Check valve? do you mean a shut off valve? The idea is to stop the flow of water in from the pump correct?

i think it is POSSIBLE for water to get in but not LIKLEY in 3 foot choppy salt water people break down a lot! everything from xlt to rxt. have towed them all luckly without a problem( knock on wood) a few times marine patrol has taken waverunners for speeding and they just tow them aswell.. so if u want to be safe get the valve but i dont have it and if i get stuck a mile off shore there no way in hell im going 5 mph all the way home once the whole front end got ripped of an rxt so i wouldnt reccomend 100+ it doesnt float the same as when its running under its own power was going 60 maybe..

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by islandboy View Post
    i think it is POSSIBLE for water to get in but not LIKLEY...
    have towed them all luckily without a problem (knock on wood)
    a few times marine patrol has taken waverunners for speeding and they just tow them as well..
    so if u want to be safe get the valve but I don't have it and if i get stuck a mile off shore there no way in hell I'm going 5 mph all the way home
    once the whole front end got ripped of an rxt so I wouldn't recommend 100+ it doesn't float the same as when its running under its own power was going 60 maybe..
    The problem is with PWC that have a wet exhaust (water sprayed into the exhaust system to keep it cool). Without the engine running, there is no exhaust flow to push the water out the back.

When the PWC is moving forward (with its own engine, or being towed), the jet pump develops water pressure for the water inlet feed to the engine cooling system. So the cooling water flow is happening, even when you are being towed.

Without the engine running, water flow during the tow accumulates inside the wet exhaust system, and can run back right into the engine's exhaust, and damage the motor.

If a PWC with a wet exhaust is towed at speed without shutting off the water inlet flow, the problem (water inside the engine) would not become apparent until the motor was cranked (possibly causing hydrolock damage), or a tech opens it up and finds water inside.

This is why the general recommendation is to either clamp or have a valve to shut off the inlet water hose, or tow VERY slowly, so the water inlet hose pressure is so low it doesn't flow up to the exhaust system.

A minor problem (dead battery, for example), can become a major problem (water in the engine) if it is towed without thinking about the water inlet issue.

There are special clamp pliers available that are made for clamping a hose closed. Easy to use, and not expensive.

Tow valves.

Brad at waveeaterproducts has them in 1/2" and 3/8" sizes.

Carl sells a brass one.

I toss my lanyard next to it when towing as a reminder to open it.

Thread Information