Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

RXP locked up first time out

I recently bought a 04 RXP. Last week the weather was nice and decided to take it out for the first time. Well roughly 30-45 min into the ride the motor locked up. I was told when I bought it the motor was replaced by the dealer he bought it from and has 12 hours on it. That was one of the reasons I decided to buy it because of the low hours on the new motor. I guess I need some advice here on what to do. Is there something I can do to resolve this ugly situation or am I screwed?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    oh boy....

first things first... make sure nothing got sucked into the jetpump and locked up the pump...

is there oil inside the hull anywhere?

have you removed any spark plugs? how do they look? anything particularly odd?

is there oil in the engine? what's the oil level on the dipstick?

when you attempt to start the engine.. what does it do exactly?

click? make a weird noise? nothing? beeps and no response?

when it locked up, how did it do it? violently? just shut off quietly? any alarms or beeps prior to the lock up? how fast were u giong when it happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    oh boy....

first things first... make sure nothing got sucked into the jetpump and locked up the pump...

is there oil inside the hull anywhere?

have you removed any spark plugs? how do they look? anything particularly odd?

is there oil in the engine? what's the oil level on the dipstick?

when you attempt to start the engine.. what does it do exactly?

click? make a weird noise? nothing? beeps and no response?

when it locked up, how did it do it? violently? just shut off quietly? any alarms or beeps prior to the lock up? how fast were u giong when it happened?
    Ok...I checked the pump first and it is ok.
    There is no oil inside the hull and I checked with a mirror the best I could and did not see any holes in the case.

Pulled the spark plugs #3 and #2 looked perfect but the #1 looked like something hit it.

The oil on the dipstick looks fine and is in between the notches on the dipstick.

When I try to to start it it clunks like its locked.

I went out with a friend to test our skis. We rode around for about 10-15 min. I did a couple hole shots but never went over 6500. We decided to go for a slow cruise and when I say slow I mean at about 20mph. We rode like that for about 10 min and stopped to bs. He smoked a cig and we continued on. I took off and got up to about 40mph and backed off the throttle back down to about 20mph to keep from getting splashed with cold spring water. The ski felt like it lost power so I hit the throttle and got no response. I let completely off, it idled for about 2-3 seconds and shut off.

It didnt beep or make any loud noises. I had no warning. I pulled the intake off also and the supercharger does not spin by hand.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by XSV View Post
    Ok...I checked the pump first and it is ok.
    There is no oil inside the hull and I checked with a mirror the best I could and did not see any holes in the case.

Pulled the spark plugs #3 and #2 looked perfect but the #1 looked like something hit it.

The oil on the dipstick looks fine and is in between the notches on the dipstick.

When I try to to start it it clunks like its locked.

I went out with a friend to test our skis. We rode around for about 10-15 min. I did a couple hole shots but never went over 6500. We decided to go for a slow cruise and when I say slow I mean at about 20mph. We rode like that for about 10 min and stopped to bs. He smoked a cig and we continued on. I took off and got up to about 40mph and backed off the throttle back down to about 20mph to keep from getting splashed with cold spring water. The ski felt like it lost power so I hit the throttle and got no response. I let completely off, it idled for about 2-3 seconds and shut off.

It didnt beep or make any loud noises. I had no warning. I pulled the intake off also and the supercharger does not spin by hand.

YOU GOT SCREWED!!!!! They knew what they sold you, kick some ass.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    ut oh

plug looks like something hit it huh smashed looking? or just a bent electrode?

take the supercharger out... check the drive gear and bearings... if that checks out ok first, then pull the cylinder head off

have any recourse with the seller, or an AS IS no warranty sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    ut oh

plug looks like something hit it huh smashed looking? or just a bent electrode?

take the supercharger out... check the drive gear and bearings... if that checks out ok first, then pull the cylinder head off

have any recourse with the seller, or an AS IS no warranty sale?
    I'll get a pic up tomorrow of the plug. The tip is bent and kind of smashed into the center. I have seen worse then what mine looks like but its still bad.

The seller is someone I know and to this point the only thing he has offered is to get me parts at his cost. (He works at a dealer) I don't think that is good enough. It's not like I rode it all summer and this happened. I didn't even put a hour on it.

I contacted the dealer he bought it from and they said the only thing they ever did to it was a throttle body. They said it showed that the motor was replaced but it was after he bought it. Why would someone lie about that? I am trying to remain calm about the situation to see how far I can get. I am losing my patience quickly.

I will pull the SC tomorrow

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by XSV View Post
    I'll get a pic up tomorrow of the plug. The tip is bent and kind of smashed into the center. I have seen worse then what mine looks like but its still bad.

The seller is someone I know and to this point the only thing he has offered is to get me parts at his cost. (He works at a dealer) I don't think that is good enough. It's not like I rode it all summer and this happened. I didn't even put a hour on it.

I contacted the dealer he bought it from and they said the only thing they ever did to it was a throttle body. They said it showed that the motor was replaced but it was after he bought it. Why would someone lie about that? I am trying to remain calm about the situation to see how far I can get. I am losing my patience quickly.

I will pull the SC tomorrow

Parts at cost Watch him, he'll dick your wife too and have you pay for the their Marriage

Banned User
    +1
    I'm gonna tab a stab and say dropped exhaust valve...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information