Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2003 GTX ltd.

I hate things that don't work! SearayEX12's Avatar

2003 GTX ltd.

I have a 2003 GTX sc ltd, that the steering is extremely stiff on. My dealer was going to replace something on it last year, but ran out of time and they forgot to write down what needed to be replaced. I am hoping to do the work myself, so I was wondering if anyone knew what could cause real stiff steering. On a side note, the steering works fine, just stiff.
    Thanks

Steering cable is your problem. And is a pain in the A$$ to replace , is for me anyway. Hard to get my big body in the front compartment to hook up to the steering arm. You have to pull the pump too if you dont have the long socket to remove the nut.

+1
    have you tried lubrication?
    if it still moves, turn the bars so the most cable is exposed by the pump, then spray with WD40 or penetrant, turn bar back and forth and keep spraying.
    then do the same for the cable end inside the front compartment. i loosened mine up last year and they havent gotten tight since.
    i have heard that slt water and thus salt crystals can form inside also, and when you put the ski in the water the first time the water dissolves the salt and frees up steering.
    try the lube .

Quote Originally Posted by NCRXP View Post
    Steering cable is your problem. And is a pain in the A$$ to replace , is for me anyway. Hard to get my big body in the front compartment to hook up to the steering arm. You have to pull the pump too if you dont have the long socket to remove the nut.
    Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    have you tried lubrication?
    if it still moves, turn the bars so the most cable is exposed by the pump, then spray with WD40 or penetrant, turn bar back and forth and keep spraying.
    then do the same for the cable end inside the front compartment. i loosened mine up last year and they havent gotten tight since.
    i have heard that slt water and thus salt crystals can form inside also, and when you put the ski in the water the first time the water dissolves the salt and frees up steering.
    try the lube .
    Well I will try the lubrication first. Should I try spraying up front in the storage bucket area as well? Will WD-40 eat away at the plastic pump? So basically if this doesn't loosen it up, I will have to replace the whole steering cable. How hard is this and is there any information on how to do this?

If your cable is thick it is a bad cable, it is superceded by a thin Cable from Seadoo. All, the old cable's from 2002-2006 were bad or going to go bad!, get the updated steering cable and boots, and you will be fine, thier is no way to break the cable free, just buy the new steering cable and you will be fine!

So would I buy the steering cable and boots from a 2007 RXT,GTX? How hard is the install and replacement? what tools would i need? Does anybody have the page from the 2003 shop manual to replace the steering cable. What are the part numbers?
    Thanks guys

Buy a new cable for your year, model ski. Remove the pump , remove the large plastic nut on the rear , take the swivel end off that connected to the steering nozzel. Upfront take the 2 bolts that hold the U clamp to the steering box. Take the bolt out that holds that end to the steering assy. and pull the cable out through the front of the ski. Put new cable back in reverse order.
    And remember its a pain in the A$$ sometimes to get that front bolt back in the steering assy.

Thread each swivel back in to the new cable and be sure to have plenty of threads in so not to pull out. You can adj. the steering by large black nut up front under the U clamp. Just have that U clamp loose when adjusting and tighten after you have the steering where you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRXP View Post
    Buy a new cable for your year, model ski. Remove the pump , remove the large plastic nut on the rear , take the swivel end off that connected to the steering nozzel. Upfront take the 2 bolts that hold the U clamp to the steering box. Take the bolt out that holds that end to the steering assy. and pull the cable out through the front of the ski. Put new cable back in reverse order.
    And remember its a pain in the A$$ sometimes to get that front bolt back in the steering assy.

Thread each swivel back in to the new cable and be sure to have plenty of threads in so not to pull out. You can adj. the steering by large black nut up front under the U clamp. Just have that U clamp loose when adjusting and tighten after you have the steering where you need it.
    Thanks for the reply, I think I'll have to look into it. Could this be right that the steering cable and all the parts I need are only 3 dollars?
    48 STEERING CABLE ASS'Y INCLUDES 48 - 51 1 1 $3.73
    Last edited by SearayEX12; 04-28-2008 at 11:02 PM.

NO ! Price on those part finders are wrong. Cable retails for around $180 - $200

Also be sure when you pull off the nut on the rear not to loose the two halfs inside that lock the cable in place , most of the time they fall out onto the ride plate.
    They will go back either way but the nut will only tighten if they are the correct way and I cant remember which without seeing it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information