Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 96 XP spec II

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar

96 XP spec II

Ok, so I had today off so I decided to start putting the Factory Pipe Spec II on my XP. There was cursing and crying and begging and finally three hours later I finally had the stock pipe out. With that done the sun was setting so no more work today.

I want to as anyone who has done this mod before, how hard is it to get the lower pipe into the ski? It is massive compared to the stock one. Does that mean its going to be an even bigger bitch to get in?

I didn't know you could get the pipe out without taking off the cylinders or looseing the motor mounts / removing drive shaft......

Quickest way would be to remove drive shaft and undo 3 motor mount bolts, then tilt engine up to insert lower pipe half. However, you might end up with alignment problems when re=bolting the engine back to the motor mounts. ( I have the alignment tool so it's not an issue)

Otherwise you have to take the manifold, head, jugs off (top half of motor) as far as I know.

I didn't know you could get the lower half with the top end on though, so maybe there is a way.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
    I didn't know you could get the pipe out without taking off the cylinders or looseing the motor mounts / removing drive shaft......

Quickest way would be to remove drive shaft and undo 3 motor mount bolts, then tilt engine up to insert lower pipe half. However, you might end up with alignment problems when re=bolting the engine back to the motor mounts. ( I have the alignment tool so it's not an issue)

Otherwise you have to take the manifold, head, jugs off (top half of motor) as far as I know.

I didn't know you could get the lower half with the top end on though, so maybe there is a way.
    Like I said there was begging, crying, swearing, screaming, and I moved the gas tank forward per the instructions.(it did help) Oh well that's a problem for another day.

xp is diff. than the GSX in terms of, well, a lot of things including the gas tank.

If you have instructions, follow them if they work.

I JUST, 2 nights ago, had to access down in that area and I just popped the pump off / drive shaft out, un-did the 3 motor mounts and tilted the engine forward, being careful of the carbs.... Again though, I have the alignment tool.

Hell, just pop the top end off and inspect it while you're at it. The only down side of that is you'll need a gasket set...... cheaper than an alignment tool though!

+1
    Dont take the topend off.

Move tank or motor.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    take out the grey box, unstrap the gas tank and oil tank, push them to the side, and go through the front compartment where the dry storage is. Its a lot of twisting and shoving but it will fit. Just a little more cursing and it will go in.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Use their insructions...they work. The chamber slides in from the front. I don't remember having to move my tank over but if it's needed, it's really easy to move.

The aggravation will be worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Use their insructions...they work. The chamber slides in from the front. I don't remember having to move my tank over but if it's needed, it's really easy to move.

The aggravation will be worth it!

I've got a new plan.

Anyone know if Astroglide reacts with aluminum or SMC?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    KY is cheaper...

Good news a little jostling for the oil and gas tanks and the lower pipe went in from the front.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information