Which is the best? xp,spx or gsx?

I'm planning to purchase a used seadoo. I was supposed to buy a rxpx but due to financing problems i've decided to buy a use 1. Which of these are reliable? Do they all have the same engine? Which 1 of these are better anyways? What are the major diff between the 3? I've talk to 1 of the mechanics that fix seadoo and he said spx. I'm planning to buy a GSX 787cc with 110hp. What are the top speed of these watercraft? Do they have good pickup? I know it won't be faster than those new 1's, but just something to ride on for this year. How are the xp?

Also when u buy a seadoo, and in this weather i might not be able to test it because of the cold Water in Canada. So i shall just do a compression test? If the compression test is high, does it mean that the engine is 100% good? Could the compression be high but the engine has no power or runs very bad.

Hope someone can give me a short reply by today. Thanx.

getting waterlogged hotrod_sxty8's Avatar
    start by doing a search on the specific years your looking at.
    also I wouldn't really rely on just a compression test that would only tell you if the motor has good compression, it wont tell you anything about the pump, impeller condition etc. If it were me I would want to test it out in the water.
    check out this page for the basic specs on seadoos.
    http://www.seadoosource.com/seadoomodelreference.html

+1
    I agree with hotrod. I would test it out on the water. I made that mistake once with a kawasaki I bought. It sounded great on landed, but when I dropped it into the water, it was slower than anything in the world....like it could barely get on plane slow.

I have a gsx and my brother had an xp..both 97, and with 2 people riding, the gsx is a lot more stable than the xp. The spx is smaller than the gsx and xp.

I have two xp's, a 95xp800 which is the x-4 hull and a 2000 xpl which is a newer shaped hull with the suspension seat, i also used to have a 97 gsx with the 951 engine. Out of the three i prefer the xpl because it has a the larger 951 engine and with a few mods its quick and handles really well. It really depends on what year you are looking at buying.

I had a 2000 xp that I bought new it was great never had one problem. Sold that and later bought a 99 xpl and had nothin but problems. When I looked at it it was the middle of winter so I didn't water test it. The first time I put it in the water it was hard to get the rpms above 3200 so I knew the carbs were gum'd up. I took the carbs off had them rebuilt they were a mess inside. I replaced all the fuel lines casue it had the notorious grey lines that to green goo. Got it all back together and it ran great for a couple hours then at WOT it shut down....I blew the PTO cylinder. Bought a rebuilt motor with warranty installed it ran for about 20 mins and it blew that motor. I sold it with the blown warrantied motor. After that and some problems people I know have had I will never own another 2 stroke agian. With all that said I wouldn't get a 951 ski unless you like wrenching and not riding. They are loose cannon ready to blow at any min and very expensive to fix. I would stick with the 787 motor they are cheaper and you can make them fast if you want.

I have not had any problems with my 2000 xpl so far, but when i had my 97 gsx with 951 engine we ended up re-building it several times and eventually getting a second engine. My 95xp800 has the 787 motor and they are usually quite reliable stock but when you ad mods to them they also can become unreliable, mine 787 is fully tuned and needs re-building quite often. If you get a 787 keep it stock and you shouldn't have problems.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    My personal vote is for the SPX(aka 96 and prior XP).

They don't all have the same engine (though in 96 & 97 they pretty much do) the 97 & up XPs has either the 787cc 110 hp motor or the 951cc 130 hp model (get the 951 in this model it helps). The Sp series started in '88 with 581cc 55 hp motor then moved up to a 650cc in '93(XP) a 720cc 85hp (XP 95) and then the 787 in late 95(XP 800).

The only motor I would avoid is the 650cc due to its low production volume, which would lead to a lack of spare parts. If you want power the 787 and 951 are the motors to go with as they are newer and have more go fast goodies available for them.

+1
    if you get the 97-99SPX or 96 XP, they all have same hull, 787cc (110hp)
    smallest of your choices but very nimble, good jumping ski, not great for rough water, fast lets say 53mph. and good acceleration. only good for 1 person. 2000-3000 dollars
    the 97 XP (110hp) $2500 or less
    and 98-2004XP $2500-3500 or 5500 for the 03/04 skis(130hp) are all the same hull the 110hp version is slightly underpowered, but reliable, the 130hp version you should buy 2000 or newer, 97-2004 xp, these all have the same hull with shock seat, only good for 1 rider, great carving ski, with the 130 hp motor 60+mph, good rough water ski, 130hp engine can be more trouble but you need the power with this hull. newer skis 2003-2004 had the DI version of the 130hp engine, really good on fuel reliable, but not easy to mod. the 03/04 DI models can be had for 5500 or so.
    the GSX 96-2000? runs from $2k to $3.5k 96 and 97 had the 110hp engine reliable, good for 2 people if you have to, better hull than SPX for rough water, but about same speed, still fun and nimble, bt not as fun or nimble as SPX or XP, major attraction is the 2 person capability and better ride in rough water, slightly better ski for taking long rides on , but if you really want a crusier get a GTX. the 951 gets you to 60+mph, but again is not as relaible as the 110. still worth it for the speed and performance gains.
    if you want to take passengers you need at least a GSX.
    i have owned SPX XP and GSX, my advice would be to ride all 3 and see how they feel different. maybe get a SPX and a GSX fro best of everything.
    if you can only get one ski, get an XP
    with the prices on used skis as reasonable as they are, i bet you could get a SPX(110hp) and GSX(130hp) with double trailer for around $5500
    2 skis for less than 1/2 what a new RXP costs

Thanx for all your help. I have brought a 96 gsx 110hp yesterday for $2500 canadian with a northtrail trailer. In Canada the seadoo's are more expensive so this is the best deal i've got. Came with new battery and new vinyl seats. Comes with seadoo cover. I drove it yesterday for a quick spin before i brought it. It is fast. I like it. For that price i can't go wrong. I just hope there is not much problems after i brought it.

Mine is a 787 motor so it is reliable. The guy said there is nothing wrong because they had a baby and brought a boat.

What should i check for after i buy it? Do i need to clean the carb and stuff? Is it normal for every tank of gas, u should put 1L of 2 stroke oil?

+1
    the ski has a separate oil tank correct? it has not been switched to premix?
    if so just keep an eye on the oil tank, and top it off every couple of tanks of gas.
    i never filled my oil tank after every ride. in fact you dont want to keep the oil tank full to the top, leave about 1/8 of the oil tank empty, when full the oil tanks have been known to crack due to oil expansion when it gets hot.
    check the wear ring and impeller, for damamge. dings, excessive wear.
    make sure the VTS works.
    check the rubber accordion boot of the VTS(in the pump tunnel) make sure its not brittle or cracked, if it is it will leak water into the VTS housing and destroy it.
    make sure raves are sliding smooth, look up rave valves.

Thread Information