Who is REALLY good at rebuilding precision pumps, and won't rape me on price???

I need a pump rebuilt, more specifically, a 158mm Yamaha Skat Magnum E-75 Pump with a Ti Driveshaft... Not a cheap pump... So I want to make sure I send it to someone good. I do engines, not pumps. I dont have a press for one, and I tried to rebuild a pump once, and it didnt go well, So I need assistance.

I've worked with 4-stroke forced induction low displacement engines for about a decade now, but this is my first fortee into watercraft. So being unable to follow

Rule #1: "If you want a job done right, do it yourself"
    Amendment #1a: "If you are not experienced in the job, it is allowable to secure an expert in the field and compensate them accordingly to act in your stead"

Unfortunatly regardarding pumps, I have zero experience, and the last one I tried to build had watercooled barings if you know what I mean, haha.

So please any recomendations?? Who rebuilds pumps that does TOP NOTCH work? Or does anyone do this on the side, and does a large wolume? I find you get the best work from home garage mechanics who specialize in one field. Or send it to WFO Maybe? If you see this WFO, PM me with a rough estimate, as I have no clue, real rough is fine, just anything. The pump is in exellent shape, but the bearings have run with low, to no grease. They had water on them when I pulled the cap, and are pretty sluggish. They still feel tight, so a possible grease injection could salvage them, Or I may just replace them, but I need someone that knows pumps to look at it, and go through it for me, so I turn to my friends, the GreenHulk community for advice, Thanks guys!!.

Or should I just send it to Skat, and have them tell me I need a complete rebuild, and get it done knowingly perfect, but get raped? Or are they cool, and don't rip you off? Just looking for advice guys, Thanks! I do have access to a press if im overestimating the skill level required for this. I just didnt use a press, used the freezer method last time, so it was a one shot deal, under a time crunch.
    Last edited by boostaholic; 04-30-2008 at 10:43 AM.

+1

pump rebuiling

CALL IMPROS. TALK TO DAVE STEWART. YOU WILL BE IN GOOD HANDS. HE HAS GONE OUT OF HIS WAY FOR ME WHEN HE REBUILT MY SKAT 158 LAST JULY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON. NOTHING LESS THAN TERRIFIC SERVICE. PERIOD. ALSO CONVERT IT TO AN OIL BATH. POP THE SEALS OUT OF THE NEW BEARINGS AND ADD A 1/8 NPT PIPE PLUG TO THE TAIL CONE... JUST LIKE A SEA-DOO. BE SURE TO PRESSURE CHECK IT AND IT WILL LAST MUCH LONGER.. http://www.impros.com/
    Last edited by Buzzer68; 04-29-2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: ADDED INFO AND A TYPO

+1
    Carl at Island Racing has been doing pumps for years ... try him at 516-883-0090.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    if you can get inside an engine, you can do a pump. It's 1 nut, 2 bearings and 2 seals. Look through the FAQ and check it out. Duke had some good posts. You don;t need a press or anything like that. at best a heat gun and a piece of pipe.

+1
    You are probably just looking at bearings and seals, and maybe cleaning up the shaft. Not really hard. The fun part is setting the bearing depth and pressing in straight. Dukes method works, but that Skat has a stainless insert for the vein section.

I have done a ton of Yami pumps... mostly just 155 HOs and 66Vs. I have messed with a couple of Skats.
    Carl is good.
    Skat will probably be expensive.
    Dave is good when hes firing on all cylinders.

+1
    If you can get a hold of Glenn at Skat it shouldn't be too bad. SS pump is a little tricky to do and can be easily screwed.

+1
    Dave at Impros.

DO NOT use the bearing with the "SEALED" covers. Or caps... or whatever the hell they are called. Use the open race bearings.

+1
    you should check out Carl's heavy duty bearing and axial load set-up - you might buy the parts from Carl and then get Dave to assemble it

+1
    Jim did my Skat Pump. After it had been done twice and blew out twice after one ride each time.

After Jim did it I have had no problems and it has been a year now.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    sooo the skat uses a different bearing set up, or it's just the fact that it's a SS bore that makes it tricky?

Thread Information