Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How NOT to treat your rideplate!

Well I managed to drop my ski on the rideplate today. Put a nice buckle across the machined center of my custom one of a kind TCR rideplate . Can't believe how stupid I was but tried doing something mechanical before I had my morning caffeine, big mistake! I had the ski at work as I was trueing the bottom last night. I had hooked the trailer up to a customers pick-up in the shop so as I could drag the ski back on the trailer so as to be able to sand the rear half of the hull. First thing this morning we needed to move the pick-up truck the trailer was on and I just grabbed and lifted the lever holding the trailer onto the hitch ball, not thinking about the ski still hanging off the rear of the trailer. Damn near got bitch slapped by the tongue of the trailer coming up at me and the ski slammed down on the concrete, hitting on the rear of the rideplate. Dumbest thing I've ever done, o.k. break out the flamethrowers as I deserve the heat.

+1
    Its alright. the rideplate can be replaced. Its only "material". Atleast you didn't get hurt bro.

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    Its alright. the rideplate can be replaced. Its only "material". Atleast you didn't get hurt bro.
    Thanks Billy. I thought it was a total but I work at a body shop and I went to work on it tonight, I actually think I can save it. My only worry is the aluminum in the center is getting even thinner than it was already. It was machined quite thin and I'm having to so some further filing and sanding on it. I'm thinking the strength in the center section is not that critical??

Man, me and the boys up at Hooters will be talking about this for sure!!!
    but seriously just glad you didn't get hurt. If you need anything from us let me know.

+1
    If you don't want to make it any thinner just fill the dent with Marine Tex and sand that smooth and true. I've had to do that a few times from rock dings. Don't sand it to thin or it will oilcan when your riding it.

Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    Well I managed to drop my ski on the rideplate today. Put a nice buckle across the machined center of my custom one of a kind TCR rideplate . Can't believe how stupid I was but tried doing something mechanical before I had my morning caffeine, big mistake! I had the ski at work as I was trueing the bottom last night. I had hooked the trailer up to a customers pick-up in the shop so as I could drag the ski back on the trailer so as to be able to sand the rear half of the hull. First thing this morning we needed to move the pick-up truck the trailer was on and I just grabbed and lifted the lever holding the trailer onto the hitch ball, not thinking about the ski still hanging off the rear of the trailer. Damn near got bitch slapped by the tongue of the trailer coming up at me and the ski slammed down on the concrete, hitting on the rear of the rideplate. Dumbest thing I've ever done, o.k. break out the flamethrowers as I deserve the heat.

Glad your ok....That tongue could have really hit you hard...even possibly in the face, teeth or whatever.

We all do it...Just not too many admit it..

+1
    you could get some bracing welded on in the inside - be careful with the welding, you could easily go right through the plate because it is so thin

This could end up being a good thing. I'm putting a lot of work into this plate and it may be faster than ever

Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    This could end up being a good thing. I'm putting a lot of work into this plate and it may be faster than ever
    i think your on to something here

the voodoo speed package:

Quote Originally Posted by RDH View Post
    i think your on to something here

the voodoo speed package:
    VOODOO Racing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information