Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help on impeller removal on 97 gtx asap

Followed the Hulk's directions up until allen wrench part. Can't find allen wrench hole, figured they didn't have one the older ski. I tried to just skip that step, but can't get break it loose. I have the impeller tool. Help plz!

Do you have the impeller off of the shaft...or is it still attached? Never seen any allen screws except in the jet pump itself...not sure why that matters! Anyway where are you at? Is the shaft still on the impeller???

The pump is off of the shaft that's coming from the motor. I can stick the impeller tool into the splines in the impeller, but can't break loose. Is it very tight, to the point of alot of power to break loose? On step 18 in Hulk's directions.
    10. Remove pump nose cone (either pops off or is threaded depending on year/make)
    11. Put impeller tool in vice facing splines up
    12. Slide pump impeller splines side down on the impeller tool
    13. Use medium Allen to remove three bolts from pump cone
    14. Lightly tap nose cone with rubber mallot until you get some space
    15. Gently rock pump cone back and forth to work it out (Might need a flat head screwdriver the first time, but be gentle)
    16. Once pump cone is removed, you will see the 12mm Allen hole
    17. Put 12mm Allen in this spot and slide breaker bar/pipe down the end of the Allen
    18. Turn counter clockwise to loosen (and clockwise to tighten.)
    19. Loosen the Allen until it gets easy enough to turn by hand.
    20. Take the pump off the vice/impeller tool and use your hand on the impeller and 12mm Allen to spin the prop off the shaft.

You gotta be talking about the rear thrust shaft...looking at the pump housing at the rear, where you took off the jet pump cover, do you see a bolt there??? If so...this is the "rear" impeller shaft and the impeller is torque threaded on to it! As long as the "front" impeller shaft is out and you can use that tool without stripping the splines (meaning the tool splines mesh with the prop splines) it should break and spin off. A lot of people heat theirs with propane torches, heat the center. I used PB Blast penetrating oil on mine.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    If the prop has never been off...they excessively Loctite the threads from the factory. If the flats of the shaft is in a vise, I'd suggest heating the threaded end (inside splines) until it starts smoking. The Loctite has to be melted to release it's hold. Then quickly put a 1/2" breaker bar & socket on the impeller tool and snatch it loose.

Thank You everyone! One last question concerning this. I'm looking at the splined end where the impeller tool is inserted into the meshing splines of the shaft. If I'm looking at this correctly, the impeller is threaded to the OD of the splined area of the shaft, Correct?

Well...not really. The impeller is threaded onto the "threaded" portion of the pump shaft...the splines are on the impeller only. And it's standard right-hand threads. CCW to loosen.

I'm all out of favors!!
    ??????????? Dude the directions your reading are for a 4tec pump, not a 2 stroke pump. Put the end that has the two flat sides into a vise (Shaft), after you pull the cone off and spill smelly pump oil all over yourself. On the other end where the impeller is insert spline tool and loosen, heat with mapp gas if needed. And BE CAREFULL when you reinstall the impeller!! you don't want to crush the thrust bearing. Better yet take it to a dealer. Hope this helps.

My brother had posted that on my account. I see what is going on now. There was a lot of rust and grease that prevented me from seeing how the impeller screwed onto the shaft. I'm gonna have to take it to the guys in the back at work to see if they can break the impeller loose. It just ain't budging. Any pointers on heating it up, how long, etc? I bought this ski from a neighbor last year, so I'm slowly learning how everything is pieced together. I'll get it. Thanks for the help from everyone! One last question, is there a torque value are something when screwing the impeller back on to not damage the bearing?

The bearing can get cocked sideways when screwing the prop back on the shaft, just be careful as you tighten if it starts getting snug before bottoming, then back off and reposition the thrust bearing. When tight it wll have lateral play...just like it has now. Make a mental note of how much before you break it apart. Holding the shaft against the bearing when installing helps.

Degrease the inside where the splines are. Use a oxy-acetelyne torch and stick the tip inside the splines. If clean, use the smoke as an indicator when it's hot enough. The Loctite will start smoking when getting close. You may have to repeat this step 2-3 times until the heat gets all 1" of threads. Don't get it cherry red, just hot enough to break the Loctite loose.

When reinstalling...most of us use antiseize or nothing on the theads. The Loctite was way overkill. I just get mine good and tight with a 1/2" breaker bar. If I had to guess probably between 40-60 lbs. I've never had one vibrate loose.
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 05-01-2008 at 06:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information