Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Autosport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In the Fast lane
    Posts
    1,587
    +1
    25

    Problems after Hull work

    (I also PM'd a couple of people this, but thought I would put it our here for anyone else that might have ideas)

    Yesterday Mik72e and I both trued our Hulls on our ski's (silly move three days before race day (40 mile WOT enduro race)).... before hand both our ski's were solid as a rock (mike 80-81mph me 76-77mph) over boat wake etc very solid.

    Since truing hulls both our ski's porpus (Mikes actually wants to jumps out of the water above 78mph after porposing for a bit (mine probably would to if it got to 78mph).

    We both tried to lower and raise plates (mike between .980" and 900" - and mine I started at .960" with .040 washer in the rear and tried with no washer in the rear right up to .090" washers in the rear of the plate) no matter what we did Ski did exactly the same (only speed changes).

    We are both running .120" washers under our trim tabs (mike with metal tabs me with factory plastic tabs). I went down to .060 wasers and didn't change (Mike also tried less washers with no results).

    Only thing that made both our ski's marginally better at the end of the day was .120 washers front of trim tabs and .150" washers rear of trim tabs. Ski's still porpos in super man but its manageable but annoying and the ski's just feel all wrong.

    before hand both ski's were so Solid, now they just feel wrong after truing... three days until race day... any suggestions to cure our problems? we need ideas urgently?

    I understand that we've changed the dynamics of the ski a little, and some adjustments would most likely be needed, but everything we try doesn't seem to make a difference?

    thanks
    Damian and Mike (the Aussie crew)
    Last edited by Autosport; 04-30-2008 at 06:18 PM.


  2. #2
    Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,004
    +1
    406
    Do you have any pictures of what you guys did??

    What kind of race?? Long course, short course, endurance??

  3. #3
    Make sure your plate is true with the hull on both the left and right sides.
    Take a 4 foot aluminum level and check plate height from the hull on each side. You probably took more material off one side of the hull than the other and now the plate isnt true with the hull anymore.
    I had to shim my right side down .040 on both front and rear to get it aligned with the hull. Difference was day and night..

  4. #4
    Autosport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In the Fast lane
    Posts
    1,587
    +1
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Do you have any pictures of what you guys did??

    What kind of race?? Long course, short course, endurance??
    Race is endurance, Bridge to Bridge 40 miles of Wide open throtle up a winding rivver



    Only pictures of my hull work are bellow, I don't have any of Mikes ski as we didn't do them together. (limited pictures using camera phone as the mother-in-law too the camera to Greece with her on holidays)

    http://members.iinet.net.au/~zanetti/stuff/ski/hull/

    ,
    Last edited by Autosport; 04-30-2008 at 07:54 AM.

  5. #5
    Autosport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In the Fast lane
    Posts
    1,587
    +1
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by rossnemo View Post
    Make sure your plate is true with the hull on both the left and right sides.
    Take a 4 foot aluminum level and check plate height from the hull on each side. You probably took more material off one side of the hull than the other and now the plate isnt true with the hull anymore.
    I had to shim my right side down .040 on both front and rear to get it aligned with the hull. Difference was day and night..
    thanks Ross.. thats one thing I'll try tomorrow morning. hope its something we can sort before race day

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NASHVILLE
    Posts
    438
    AUTOSPORT, you need to talk with Tommy (2fast4u). He will take care of your problem without causing another one.

  7. #7
    Autosport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In the Fast lane
    Posts
    1,587
    +1
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by CARVER View Post
    AUTOSPORT, you need to talk with Tommy (2fast4u). He will take care of your problem without causing another one.
    I'm hoping Tommy might have some ideas... but as I we are in Sydney Australia, I think its a long drive to take my ski over to him and wont make it back in time for sundays race

  8. #8
    Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,004
    +1
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosport View Post
    Race is endurance, Bridge to Bridge 40 miles of Wide open throtle up a winding rivver



    Only pictures of my hull work are bellow, I don't have any of Mikes ski as we didn't do them together. (limited pictures using camera phone as the mother-in-law too the camera to Greece with her on holidays)

    http://members.iinet.net.au/~zanetti/stuff/ski/hull/

    ,
    Can't tell much from the pictures.

    Looks like a fun race!! Wished we had something like that over here.

  9. #9
    Autosport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In the Fast lane
    Posts
    1,587
    +1
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Looks like a fun race!! Wished we had something like that over here.
    Its very fun, takes about 25 minutes on a PWC.

    Ski boats with a skier on the back do twice the distance (PWC don't have enough fuel for the full race) and boats do about 120mph with a skiier tied to the back (wouldn't want to be the skiier)
    Last edited by Autosport; 04-30-2008 at 08:16 AM.

  10. #10
    philip_gpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,724
    +1
    3
    use OEM sponsons stepped


    on shimming trim tabs

    if using OEM, either plastic or metal

    - keep the amount of shims the same front and rear

    - typically the more shims, the more stable the ride



    if using Riva or R&D trim tabs

    - .120 washers front of trim tabs and .150" washers rear of trim tabs is good

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 09 Ultra 260x low RPM Bogging problems after water in the hull
    By moose51 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-29-2013, 10:09 PM
  2. Polaris 1999 SLH - Problems after hull swamping and recovery
    By Giulio_18 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-10-2011, 07:31 AM
  3. Problem after last round of mods
    By smackwave in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 11:42 PM
  4. finally went to the lake after hull repair
    By txgp1300r in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-13-2006, 11:29 PM
  5. Foam in hull works -- water up over top of engine today....
    By VFX_Artist in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-01-2005, 11:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •