Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: FX SHO mods

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar

FX SHO mods

My SHO has 40 hours on it now with no problems. Being the gearhead that I am.....I started doing what I said I wasnt going to do.....MODS!!! Already put the Riva sponsons and free-flow exhaust on....mmuhahahhahahah. I've come to the conclusion that the SHO is a 3 seater that thinks its a 2 seater. Handling is amazing.....if ur not performing the proper lean-in/opposite side stiff-arm/tunnel squeeze with legs.....the G-forces WILL launch u off the ski. It doesnt scare u...u can't wipe the grin off ur face as u swim back, just makes u appreciate the extreme performance modern day skis r capable of. I have noticed a slightly annoying tendency of the hull to "bow search" at intermediate cruising speeds after the hull just begins to plane....mostly fixed with a trim adjustment....prolly will be fully fixed with aftermarket ride plate.

As for the free-flow exhaust, I noticed a slight loss of low end with appreciable gains in mid-range and top-end. This ski absolutely rips!
    The downside of the free-flow exhaust on the SHO is the noise........1800cc SC 4-banger is LOUD! Just the sound of this thing gets ur heart rate up. Not at idle (just sounds intimidating) and complete adrenaline pump at WOT.........but in mid-range 2500-4000 rpm cruising, creates a 'drone' that will: 1. Definitely wake up the neighbors!
    2. Make ur buddies say either 'Damn' or 'wow'
    3. Make ur passenger say 'what'?.....get ready to "speak loudly" to hear each other

Of course, ur oblivious to all of this because u can't get the smile off ur face. But what do u expect.....a motor this size is not going to be muffled/silenced by a waterbox and a straight tube.....plus its fun to see the expressions on ur passengers face when u hit the throttle .
    Coonsidering the SHO's stock exhaust, its amazing the ski runs,,,,,it's that restrictive. Problem is the tube that runs down into the second baffle......it runs all the way down and sits almost at the floor of the baffle, basically choking the motor. Wish I could include pics but my digital camera died.....I'lll try to post some soon.
    Definitely a 3 seater that thinks its a 2 seater........couldnt be happier!!!!!!
    Salute my PWC brothas......
    Last edited by Rip'nTear SHO; 04-30-2008 at 12:14 PM.

Nice

Any gps numbers yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by #22gpr View Post
    Any gps numbers yet ?
    65 mph on the gps consistently....66mph intermittently....and hit 67.2 mph once with a 1/4 tank, slightly trimmed up, on a pretty glassy canal.
    I feel like theres a lot more there but then the ECU kicks in and the pulling stops. With the stock exhaust i was hitting 64 mph consistently...and 65 intermittently..with a 66mph on 1/4 tank.
    Think the extra 1 mph is from the extra mid-range and top-end pull until it hits the 7500 rpm limiter (think it slingshots it past what the ECU wants to stop it at)....hard to say tho cuz the ski pulls so hard and I dont have an accelerometer on the GPS to compare the holeshots. KNow it doesnt sound like a big upgrade, but seat-of-pants feels like more than what the numbers r telling me. Guess the only way I'll really know is when they open up the ECU. Cant wait!
    Last edited by Rip'nTear SHO; 04-30-2008 at 11:09 AM.

40 Hours, whooaa you ride a lot haha.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by italianstallion314 View Post
    40 Hours, whooaa you ride a lot haha.
    yeah damn I put 44 hours on my ski last season and I was out miminally 3 times a week every week in the summer

My guess - marketing.

But I'm paranoid when it comes to web forums...

Quote Originally Posted by imaginate View Post
    My guess - marketing.

But I'm paranoid when it comes to web forums...
    40 hours easy to do in South Florida......put 8 hrs in 1 day going from Hillsborough Inlet in Pompano down to Miami Beach/Bayside/Biscayne Bay and back......combination of open-water riding and Intracoastal "Idle-speed No-Wake" riding. My knees and forearms still hate me from that day....but what a day!!
    One of the reasons I bought a ski over a boat is that I didnt want an expensive conversation piece sitting on the side of the house cuz i couldnt afford gas for it. Even if I can only sneak the ski out for an hour or two I do.....keeps the ski from sitting and keeps me conditioned from the g-force loads.

+1
    Have you raced any RXT-Xs or Ultra 250s? How about the hull, what do you think about the rough water handling? I had some issues with the hull cracking from a light impact.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiguan RXP View Post
    I had some issues with the hull cracking from a light impact.
    Thats cute............ Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    Thats cute............ Are you serious?
    He is serious. He sold his sho, now he rides an rxp x and a new Ultra on the way.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information