Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

basic mods for a polaris 650 sl

Hey what are some basic cheap mods that I can do to my 650 sl, Anything?

what year ????????????????

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    What kind of mods are you loking for? Handling or speed?

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    What kind of mods are you loking for? Handling or speed?
    Oh it is a 92, and i am looking for power more of but anything is good, I was just wondering if there are any cheap mods because by the time i start putting money in it I could just buy something better.

Get rid of your jet pump, upgrade to the 94+ pump. Big improvment!!!! Make sure you take care of the fuel issues, as it will run lean and burn a hole in a piston or two...... Just do a search on it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Creighton View Post
    Oh it is a 92, and i am looking for power more of but anything is good,
    I was just wondering if there are any cheap mods because by the time i start putting money in it I could just buy something better.
    The SL hulls are a fun, inexpensive ride.

Yes, you could put money into some other ride, but many on here will say that with some selected upgrades, over time, you will end up wanting to keep your SL650, even when you have another bigger, faster ski. It will be reasonable on gas, easy to work on, and unlikely to be stolen.

The overall light weight, flat bottom, and compact size, just make it easy to dance with.

Unless you want to get into swapping cylinders and pistons, there is limited increase in raw power possible.

The '94 and later modular jet pumps are a better, more efficient design, than the '92/'93 pumps. The newer pump will give you more speed, and better acceleration along the way. It bolts right in - just make sure you get an impeller to match the power of your 650 motor.

Changing the intake reeds can help make the engine more responsive, but you will have to watch for a good deal, as the best reeds can be expensive.

Adding sponsons along the rear sides of the hull can improve the ride and handling. Not too hard to install, often available inexpensively.

Your first projects should be focused on reliability.
    Fuel system updates should be done.
    Clean and check everything;
    fuel system (gas cap to carbs), electrical, jet pump, engine, steering, hull (top and bottom)...

Search and read up on here regarding what others have experienced with their Fuji engined Polaris SL models. The SL650, SL750, SL780, and the SLT versions are all very similar.

The Pro785 is a rather different beast - VERY fast, different in many ways from the standard Polaris SL, yet still close enough to interchange some parts.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Like Z man said, upgrade to the newer style pump. Definately upgrade the old fuel system like Rodneyae said.

Cheap mods would be a long ride plate, like an Ocean Pro "R" plate or a SLX stock plate.

Maybe a 2 or 3 degree pump wedge. (will require 2 longer pump bolts)

Aftermarket reeds will help alot.

High compression heads.

And an aftermarket impeller should gain you some more oomph....

Ok, thanks guys. I have already upgrades the fuel pump and as to keep from burning a hole in the pistons. where could i find some reeds? Also what is the polaris 900 like. I a sort of tempted to upgrade skis and then modify it.

www.springbreak-florida.com rgard32's Avatar
    Ok, thanks guys. I have already upgrades the fuel pump and as to keep from burning a hole in the pistons. where could i find some reeds? Also what is the polaris 900 like. I a sort of tempted to upgrade skis and then modify it.
    Get rid of the 650 and jump on the 900 !!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ...what is the Polaris 900 like?
    I am tempted to upgrade skis and then modify it.
    SL900 is fairly powerful and fast. 1050 and 1200 models are faster, but not by as much as you might think.

Essentially the same hull as SL650, but more powerful, came with sponsons. Certainly the SL900 is faster than the 650!

Depending on the year, the early domestic engines need a CDI+stator upgrade kit for reliability. If the one you buy doesn't have the update, then budget for it (about $300, I think).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information