2000 virage tx water/gas

i just purchased a 2000 virag tx in which the owners said ran great and was in good condition. however after putting in the water it idled smooth but when throttled acts like its missing no pic up speed. i checked the fuel filter container and the little red float was floating.needless to say after checking it had alot of water in it. i had already filled the tank with gas. will i have to drain it all and or do es anyone think the carb is gummed up? and the speed dominter is not working, i bought new fuses today, but have not put in yet. do these electronics have to be working before the ski will function?

+1
    If changing the fuel and cleaning the carbs/fuel pump don't make it run smooth...
    The first thing I would do is split the electrical box and flywheel cover-look for water intrusion. Pay particular attention to the back of the electrical board.
    Make sure the plugs are in good working order and gapped properly.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon24 View Post
    i just purchased a 2000 VirageTX in which the owners said ran great and was in good condition. however after putting in the water it idled smooth but when throttled acts like its missing no pick up speed.
    i checked the fuel filter container and the little red float was floating. needless to say after checking it had a lot of water in it.
    i had already filled the tank with gas. will i have to drain it all and or do es anyone think the carb is gummed up?

and the speedometer is not working, i bought new fuses today, but have not put in yet. do these electronics have to be working before the ski will function?
    If the gasoline you bought had ethanol in the mix, then it tends to absorb water. You might have to discard the whole tankful, as you won't know how degraded that gas has become. And you cannot get the water out, once it has been absorbed by the ethanol.

That said, gasoline floats on water. If you are careful, you should be able to siphon out the upper 3/4 of the gasoline, and re-use it later. Don't move the ski, and be sure the water has all settled down before you start siphoning. Only use real gas containers. Might want to add some gasoline anti-freeze (ethanol), to absorb any remaining moisture in the fuel.

The bottom portion of the fuel and water, just assume it is contaminated, and siphon or drain it all out. Dispose of that responsibly. Wash and dry the tank interior.

If the carbs have not been serviced in recent times, you might consider taking them apart and cleaning the filters.

Look for how the water got into the fuel tank. Is there a crack in the filler pipe or gas cap? Cap seal damaged or missing, etc...
    Any evidence the ski has had lots of water inside the hull (partial sinking)?

Call a Polaris dealer, give them the HIN, and have them check for outstanding Service Bulletins or recalls. Also, have them update the Polaris database with you as the owner.

2000 virage carbs

how difficult is it to get to and clean the carbs? and thanks for the advice i will syphon the gas out when i get home. is it difficult to get to the electrical box to check the fuses? thanks.........

+1
    how difficult is it to get to and clean the carbs?
    and thanks for the advice I will siphon the gas out when i get home.
    is it difficult to get to the electrical box to check the fuses?
    thanks.........
    Download the 2002 Service manual.
    Not everything will be exactly the same, but most of the 2002 Virage TX will apply to your 2000 Virage TX.

Electrical box is easy to get at. Just take your time, open it carefully. DISCONNECT the battery first!

Only 1 fuse inside, and it is for the MFI display. 1/4 AMP - do NOT use a larger fuse size.

Make sure the electrical box is dry and clean inside, front and back of the board.

Carburetors are not so difficult, just takes some time working with little parts and screws. Read the service manual, search here for some tips (like putting a towel down to prevent small parts from getting under the motor).

Here is the SBT rebuild guide for the Keihin CDK carbs (not sure if this is the exact carb model you have). What you need to do is check for cleanliness inside the carbs.

If the carb internal filter is clean, and there is no evidence of gum, you might get away with just re-assembling it. Others might suggest you rebuild the carbs anyway, or send them out. Cleanliness is paramount with carb work.

2000 virage mfi display

If The Mfi Display Is Not Working Will This Affect The Running Of The Ski. Like Does It Control Fuel Or Throttle Controls, Oil Input Ect.?

+1
    If The MFI Display Is Not Working Will This Affect The Running Of The Ski?
    Like Does It Control Fuel Or Throttle Controls, Oil Input Etc?
    I am not sure.

I don't know if the 2000 Virage TX depends on the MFI for full engine functionality.

It could possibly invoke RPM limiting, as if it was in reverse.

Thread Information