Daniel Kurtzman's Political Humor Blog

From Daniel Kurtzman,
Your Guide to Political Humor.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
Clinton, Obama, Edwards Converge on Colbert Report

In a surprise convergence that marked a first for a late-night comedy show, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, and John Edwards all competed for laughs during separate cameos on last night's Colbert Report.

Clinton started things off by coming to the rescue when a screen malfunctioned in the studio.

"Are you telling me there's no one in this theatre who can fix the mess we're in?" Colbert asked.

Clinton then appeared on the stage, saying, "I can. I can, Stephen." She also called out a makeup artist to take care of Colbert's shiny forehead.

"Wow, Senator Clinton, you are so prepared for any situation!" Colbert exclaimed. "I just don't know how to thank you enough."

"I just love solving problems," Clinton replied. "Call me anytime. Call me at 3:00 a.m." (Watch video clip)

Obama later made a surprise appearance via satellite, as Colbert joked, "Won't Senator Clinton be happy that she fixed our screen."

Taking aim at the media's focus on petty, trivial issues, Obama declared, "Manufactured political distractions…you are officially 'On Notice,'" prompting Colbert to add the phrase to his "On Notice" board. (Watch video clip)

But it was Edwards who stole the show by commandeering Colbert's "Word" segment, or as he called it "EdWords."

"No white male vote is being courted more vigorously than this one," Edwards joked.

He said he's conflicted about whether to support Obama or Clinton because "on the one hand, I don't want to be seen as anti-hope. On the other hand, I don't want James Carville to bite me."

He said he would vote for whoever best advocates for universal healthcare and fighting poverty -- or buys him a jet ski. (Watch video clip) http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport/videos.jhtml?videoId=166019

Who will get the coveted Colbert Bump? Based on last night's performances, it may be Edwards.