Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Another 800 Grate Cracked Noone Hurt.

All i can say someone was looking out for me today.

We need these SS grate ASAP its getting to common now guys support this thing we need these SS grates before someone gets hurt.

As you know me and Damo have had handling issue after trueing our Hulls anyway we gather advice and i thank everyone for there import.

Well i set my ski up to my normal setting but added a 25tho washer under the two front bolts of the 800 grate.

Run the ski one way with a slight bounce but was able to push 80.6mph so ran it back the other way still was able to push a 80.3mph with a slight bounce little worse did notice my rpms to be little lower so let of the throttle was about to do another pass because i could nt believe this was the fix for my handling issues when something said to me go back to teh car so cruised back to the ramp. Scratching my head going this can t be the fix a 25tho washer one the front intake bolts. So i was happy skis back to normal so get back to testing nozzles so was unbolting the ride plate and yes the grate was crack my heart just sank. I know the grate was fine in the morning i checked before adding the shims.

Would this be caused from adding the shims under the front of the grate changing the water angle causing more pressure I ve been running a 800 grate for years no issue till today its funny adding the shims doing to speed runs and results as you can see or the grate just had enough.

No one was hurt lucky i got under the ski before doing another run we need these NEW SS GRATE ASAP come on guys.

Jerry have you though of contacting Jetski shops to purchase a few to make up the numbers.

+1
    Forgot to add the PICS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5011337.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	70535   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5011341.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	70536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5011343.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	70537   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5011347.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	70538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5011349.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	70539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5011350.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	70540  

+1
    Glad nobody was hurt!!!

I wonder if cryogenically treating the grates would at least help?

+1
    I can vouch for that... Mike was as white as a ghost when he slid out from under his Ski...

Very lucky... very lucky indeed.

Now the question is, does Joeblo, Mike and myself run 800grates for the 40 mile (25min WOT) race on sunday, and give the seadoo guys something to chase... or do we run the 1200 grates and be chasing the seadoo's and finish the race without a problem ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    Glad nobody was hurt!!!

I wonder if cryogenically treating the grates would at least help?
    Doesn't that make them more brittle?

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Hello Mike say a prayer because you must of had an angel with you that day telling you let me look at my ski over before i do another run. That could have been a real bad situation if it broke completely. Glad you decided to check the grate and no one got hurt. Putting shims in the front changes the angle of the scoops, So most likely it put more stress on the intake.
    Last edited by JIM'S PERFORMANCE; 05-01-2008 at 06:44 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Hello Mike say a prayer because you must had an angel with you that day that could have been a real bad situation if it broke completely. Glad you decided to check the grate and no one got hurt.Putting shims in the front changes the angle of the scoops, So most likely it put more stress on the intake.
    but isn't a 1200 grate more angled? (if you sit 800 and 1200 grates side by side and look at them from the side you can see the 1200 is angled higher).... so effectively you would be doing this by shimming down the front of an 800 grate... so the stress on the it should be no more then on a 1200 thinking logically.... but obviously reality is different ?

PS: Jim, which grate would you be racing with on the weekend 40 miles WOT ?

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosport View Post
    but isn't a 1200 grate more angled? (if you sit 800 and 1200 grates side by side and look at them from the side you can see the 1200 is angled higher).... so effectively you would be doing this by shimming down the front of an 800 grate... so the stress on the it should be no more then on a 1200 thinking logically.... but obviously reality is different ?

PS: Jim, which grate would you be racing with on the weekend 40 miles WOT ?
    Hello Autosport, The 1200 has more angle but i think the scoop has alittle different curve to it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, The only way i would even think to use a 800 grate for 40 miles is if it was a new one out of the box. On my ski i always run a 1200 grate.

+1
    Glad your OK Mike!! That was a close one.

Adding shims to the front of the grate increases angle on the wing. This will help a boat settle down a little but at the cost of added stress to the wing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosport View Post
    or do we run the 1200 grates and be chasing the seadoo's and finish the race without a problem ?

Please run the 1200 grate. It's just not worth the risk.

Mike, I'm so happy to see you caught it in time and didn't get seriously injured.

I wish i would have the SS grates done in time for your big race but unfortunately that isn't going to happen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information