+1

Purchased 06 RXT. What to look for?

I just bought an 06 RXT with stage 1 kit, shortened water box, and some other lite mods with 142 hours on it from a friend. He had the SC rebuilt once or twice under warrantee but it still has the ceramic washers so those have to go but other than that what are the things I need to look for or do? Intercooler cleaning, coolant flush?

I have taken it out couple times and rides awesome. Max RMP were at 7800. I just want to make sure I do what needs to be addressed before something goes wrong even though its got extended warrantee for another 2 years.
    Last edited by Gus13letter; 05-01-2008 at 06:33 PM.

+1
    read up gus, and welcome to the forum.
    first thing you probably need to do is get the SC washers upgraded to 08 spec. metal washers.
    if you chance it, make sure the next time they do any work on the SC, either a SC rebuild due to wear, or a SC rebuild due to failure, you HAVE to get the 08 upgrade kit which includes metal washers.
    if you are riding salt water you definitely need to flush the engine after every ride with a garden hose, to keep the intercooler working good.
    flush after every weekend of use if you are riding in fresh water.
    check your SC for slippage right now cuz your rpms are a bit low.
    check impeller for dings , and wearirng for excessive clearance.
    is your waterbox rear exit or exiting in teh pump tunnel?
    OPAS flippers are removed? or pinned up?
    check your oil level, after ski has been run, and is still hot, perfectly level, either floating in water or use a level on the trailer(level the rubrail)
    dipstick should be at 1/2 way mark or a tad below.
    get soem new spark plugs and throw them in after you burn off all the old gas.
    if you like , throw a bottle of techron in a tank of gas with 12 gallons, and go run it thru the system. make sure you burn ALL 12 gallons that day, techron can eat your fuel tank. techron is on sale right now for 4 bux a bottle at advance auto or autozone, whichever.

Have fun with it!!!!

Do all of the above but have fun with it, they are an awesome boat!!!
    Read and post on the forum regularly.

+1
    Thanks for the info. I have owned several ski's in the past, but this was the first with a SC.
    Yes the washers will be the first to get done, but I got to thinking - why not let it fail and get them replaced for free under my extended warrantee that I have for a couple more years? I found out they are now using metal washers when they do the work. I did find that the throttle cable was not pulling the throttle body all the way open so I fixed that so RPM should come up a little.

I got SaltAway to flush the ski after every ride.
    Impeller looks good.
    Waterbox is in stock location, but the waterbox was shortened and the sound supression was removed and a different hose was put in.
    Has the Riva OPAS eliminator kit on it.
    Dipstick when checked was at the first bend. Doesnt seem to have a full mark.
    New spark plugs were put in when I bought it.
    I'll do the Techron thing. I used that in my cars.
    Last edited by Gus13letter; 05-02-2008 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have owned several ski's in the past, but this was the first with a SC.
    Yes the washers will be the first to get done, but I got to thinking - why not let it fail and get them replaced for free under my extended warrantee that I have for a couple more years?
    Hey Gus, don't forget if you let the washers fail, it may take a month or two for the dealer to repair the engine damage. Most people don't want that much down time in the summer... Ron

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    Hey Gus, don't forget if you let the washers fail, it may take a month or two for the dealer to repair the engine damage. Most people don't want that much down time in the summer... Ron
    AH!! Good call. Sounds like I will be removing the SC and sending it in to Green Hulk to have them replaced or maybe do a rebuild depending on when the last rebuild was done from the previous owner. I think he did it around 100 hours.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    He had the SC rebuilt once or twice under warrantee but it still has the ceramic washers
    So he has had possibly two ceramic washer failures. Do you know if the oil pumps were replaced after? If not i would be pushing to have this done otherwise you will eventually throw a rod thru the side of the block due to oil pump failure.

It's real important you get the metal washers installed in your supercharger as quickly as possible.

Congrats on the new ski!

+1
    +1 jerry,
    yes if the washers fail the ceramics desintigrate and get washed into the engine via the oil. these gritty ceramic bits clog/damage oil pumps, and grind away at everything inside the engine. my bet is you will do the SC at the end of this season anyways, and its not a warranty upgrade, so just send it to jerry now for the 08 kit and have peace of mind.
    you DO need to find out from the dealer who did the work, or any dealer that will run the VIN, if the previous SC failures were dealt with properly, meaning proper oil pump inspection or replacement, cleaning ALL the ceramic bits out of the engine. some dealers are aware of the proper precautions, some just repair the SC and say all is ok.

+1
    I spoke to the guy I bought the ski from who is my friend who works at another friend of mine's shop. He replaced the washers under warrantee around 50 hours because the RPMs dropped a little, then he did a complete rebuild about 100 hours because the RPMs seemed to drop again and should have been time to do a rebuild. It wasn’t a catastrophic failure. He said he may be able to warrantee out the current parts saying that the SC isnt producing proper RPMs. I checked the SC and could not budge the wheel.

Even though it wasnt catastrophic should I have the oil pump replaced/checked? Is that something I can do?
    Last edited by Gus13letter; 05-03-2008 at 06:30 AM.

Thread Information