Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Where we are headed?...

Where are powersports going? I guess this sport in particular because I'm more involved in it? Why is it like all the organized sports like little league anymore? Whoever has the most $$$ has all the fun and enjoyment. What happened to powersports being blue collar? Why does a snowmobile cost $10K and a PWC cost $13K, and then to mod them costs a third of those prices or more? And what happened to being able to actually ride them without having to spend 2 weeks pay just for gas? Why do we need cup holders, cruise control, 50gal. worth of storage space, a lake temp and exterior temp gauge (I mean c'mon if the water is cold I'm wearing a wetsuit and if the air is cold same story, give me a break), etc. You can't even put body english on these things anymore. Not when they're 12ft. long and weigh over 1,000lbs wet. I mean go ride an RXP and then hop on an old X4 XP, you'll see what I mean and I'm sure most of you know because you've been around this sport a long time. Why do we need 1.5L and 1.8L SCIC engines making 250+HP to make these things move? Can't we revert back and make this a little more rider involved (smaller engines that use less gas in smaller, lighter and more efficient hulls and pumps to get the same speeds out of the box)? Why are people worried about a dry ride on a PWC? Get a boat if you want to stay dry. Can't forget all the rules and regulations on all powersport vehicles are getting rediculous too.What's going on here?

It's hard for me to enjoy just going out and riding quads with my friends, snowmobiles with my dad, and skis with some of the forum members for various reasons anymore, and that really saddens me. Seems like you just can't hop on and go anymore.

Maybe I'm off base here? Anyone else see where I'm coming from? Sorry, I'm done.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    PWC are headed in way too many different directions. They just get bigger and bigger and bigger. In order to make those big skis feel even the slightest bit "fun." They need the power to move them. Cruise control........... I really dont know where to start on that.

Simple - Because the majority of the market demanded it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pettee View Post
    Simple - Because the majority of the market demanded it.
    I think they have limited their market though, at least they are heading in that direction IMO. A lot of people have left this sport and others because of costs. It's easy to have a high percentage majority in a small concentrated group. Expand that group and your percentages may go down some, but the actual numbers may go up.

I also think the majority of people in the market want to be able to actually RIDE their toy, not stare at it in the garage. Give us something we can ride without worrying about costs, and have a crap ton of fun on and beat the shit out of it. I want to RIDE, not cruise around. Like I said before, let's revert back a little take a blue collar attitude and you may bring some people back.
    Last edited by RXP-REX; 05-01-2008 at 08:24 PM.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP-REX View Post
    I think they have limited their market though, at least they are heading in that direction IMO. A lot of people have left this sport and others because of costs.
    I agree, they should take a cue from the auto industry. Dig into the aftermarket. Ford has SVT, Dodge has Mopar, Toyoya has TRD, Chevy has GMPP. They could sell a perfectly CG approved 65 mph ski up front and sell go fast parts to make an 80 mph ski out the back.

I also think that smaller fun craft in the line up can only help sales.

I can agree with all the above. Sometimes companies take their ideas from the wrong core sample.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
    I also think that smaller fun craft in the line up can only help sales.
    I agree. Bring back the XP. Redesign it a bit for looks and styling purposes, but keep it a small and nimble little fella. Put an Etec engine in it. That way you get good fuel mileage and low emissions. Make the hull and pump efficient so it only takes a 600 Etec twin with 130HP to make the thing go 65mph or so. Let the the people that want to get into it RIDE, don't force them to just sit and squezze the trigger like the people who only care about a joy ride.

+1
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH the good old days.

Rex, I know what you mean. I think we have become so obsessed with speed we lost track of the fun, I am guilty of this too.

I remember back in 94 when I had my raider, that was the funnest machine I have owned. It was light, good on gas and just a blast to ride.

Now the industry has moved to mainly the 3 seater with cup holders and cruise control, WTF why do we need that.
    Not to mention the price. Back in 91 when I bought my first ski it was $4800 OTD. Now skis cost 3x.

Simple, it's all about the numbers. Who(manufacture) has the fastest, who has the most HP, who has the most accessories etc.... Unfortunately that's what sells to the general public. Most people here would agree with what you have said, as do I, but I think we here are a small minority when it comes to overall ownership of PWC's. A lot of PWC buyers look at the advertising and buy based on that, which leads it right back to the fastest or most HP or best accessories, a.k.a., mine's better than yours. None of which means crap in far as how much fun it will be. So with all the numbers and advertising of the numbers comes the added costs to the machine.

+1
    So at what point do the manufacturers price themselves out of sales.
    I for one wont spend 12K for a ski.

How much is to much ?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information