Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: f-15x fuel

f-15x fuel

can this ski use regular unleaded fuel

+1
    Good question. I'll bet it requires supreme but can get away with regular in a pinch. If it runs on regular, that would be awesome.

Premium only, unfortunately...

If you need gas when out you usually cannot find 93, in this situation 87 will burn, to get you where you need to go.

+1
    I have had to burn 87 [marina gas] before and was out of Lucas octane boost. I did not dog it but I cruised at 50 [back to the ramp] on my F12X. The ECM/knock system will adjust.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    I have had to burn 87 [marina gas] before and was out of Lucas octane boost. I did not dog it but I cruised at 50 [back to the ramp] on my F12X. The ECM/knock system will adjust.
    JR
    I was wondering which octane boost people recommend. I bought a couple bottles of "Maximum 104" last night, but I was trying to figure out which stuff is snakeoil and which isn't. I know that upping the octane rating does not necessarily improve the energy density of the fuel. To do that, it seems like the cheapest octane booster would be fine.

However, in American, higher octane fuel - "premium" - usually has a higher energy density. Most of the expensive octane boosters claim to increase mileage and performance - if they're just changing the octane, that's ridiculous. If, however, they have more energy than gasoline, that could be worth something.

Anyone know more about this than I?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by imaginate View Post
    I was wondering which octane boost people recommend. I bought a couple bottles of "Maximum 104" last night, but I was trying to figure out which stuff is snakeoil and which isn't. I know that upping the octane rating does not necessarily improve the energy density of the fuel. To do that, it seems like the cheapest octane booster would be fine.

However, in American, higher octane fuel - "premium" - usually has a higher energy density. Most of the expensive octane boosters claim to increase mileage and performance - if they're just changing the octane, that's ridiculous. If, however, they have more energy than gasoline, that could be worth something.

Anyone know more about this than I?
    I have read the tests of all the octane boosters and the Lucas was the only one where a bottle provided a useful octane boost in a tank of fuel. The next closest was outlaw. They are much more effective on 87 and much less effective on 91-93. If you need a real boost in Octane, just buy race gas [not avgas] it is much better/cheaper.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    I have read the tests of all the octane boosters and the Lucas was the only one where a bottle provided a useful octane boost in a tank of fuel. The next closest was outlaw. They are much more effective on 87 and much less effective on 91-93. If you need a real boost in Octane, just buy race gas [not avgas] it is much better/cheaper.
    If you consider 12 bucks a gallon cheaper.

It's more of a question of what I can find on the water - 91 isn't always available. Since I'm keeping the ski at a marina, it's a real pain to drive it out and find a gas station (although at the price of dock gas, I may end up doing that).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    If you consider 12 bucks a gallon cheaper.
    The best of the octane boosters give you 2-3 octane in 87 or 1-2 in 93 for a $9.00 bottle into 10 gallons of gas. The result is 10.1 gallons of fuel.
    Now add a gallon of VP100 race gas and you will get 11 gallons of 96-97 in a tank of 93 octane for about $9.00 [according to where you buy it].
    The flame speed of the race gas mix is much higher than the Octane boost+pumpgas and it doesn't have as much MMT or MTBE which are bad in large quanities.
    Don't use avgas since 100LL is only 98 octane when tested like a motorfuel and has a super slow flame speed designed for our 2500 RPM aircraft engines.

I do carry a couple of bottles of Lucas in my boat as an "Marina gas insurance policy" to prevent buying a $10K+ powerhead.
    JR
    Last edited by JRINJAX; 05-02-2008 at 04:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information