Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need advice on "04 RXP mods...

Hi,
    I bought a basket case '04 RXP last summer that I've been trying to put back together since then. It is pretty much stock, so I need to know what are the general items that need to be replaced for reliability? I already know about the metal clutch washers and ceramic bearings, is there anything else? I have an '03 Cobra, so I know about fixing manufacturer F-ups. Thanks!

Forgot to add, I'm in Vegas right now for military re-training, so I am just trying to put together a list of things to buy! I won't be able to touch the ski until September. Not looking to go super fast on the water, but I do want it to be slightly better than stock, and of course reliable! Thanks again.

+1

Wink

Welcome to the forum. Well you have the right idea with the supercharger (sc) so we will leave that alone. as far as reliability i think most people would say that the sc is the biggest problem. just good maintenece and looking out for wear and tear on things like the wear ring can give you trouble free riding. Also the carbon seal can get worn and cause a leak into the hull. For performance you can doo the free mods such as fill the ride plate holes and intake holes to smoth out the bottom of your hull. trim the reverse bucket. You can doo a search of all of these on here and find the info you will need. Then you could go with a 4inch front air intake. Thru hull exhaust. this wolud improve the brething of the engine. It depends how much money you have too spend next step would prob be a new sc impellar or external intercooler (ex ic) but wuth these mods you will prob have to look at your pump impellar as it may need a little more pitch to cope with the extra power. My best advice and what most other members will prob tell u is to read alot on here coz we have all had to start somewhere. There is a thread at the top of the 1st page about new members wanting to mod there skis, i read this and it was rele helpfull, it will help to give you abetter understanding of what you may or may not want to do, and then you will better know what to seach for on here to find your answers. Hope this helps R8

Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Well you have the right idea with the supercharger (sc) so we will leave that alone. as far as reliability i think most people would say that the sc is the biggest problem. just good maintenece and looking out for wear and tear on things like the wear ring can give you trouble free riding. Also the carbon seal can get worn and cause a leak into the hull. For performance you can doo the free mods such as fill the ride plate holes and intake holes to smoth out the bottom of your hull. trim the reverse bucket. You can doo a search of all of these on here and find the info you will need. Then you could go with a 4inch front air intake. Thru hull exhaust. this wolud improve the brething of the engine. It depends how much money you have too spend next step would prob be a new sc impellar or external intercooler (ex ic) but wuth these mods you will prob have to look at your pump impellar as it may need a little more pitch to cope with the extra power. My best advice and what most other members will prob tell u is to read alot on here coz we have all had to start somewhere. There is a thread at the top of the 1st page about new members wanting to mod there skis, i read this and it was rele helpfull, it will help to give you abetter understanding of what you may or may not want to do, and then you will better know what to seach for on here to find your answers. Hope this helps R8
    WOW !

Quote Originally Posted by JetmechF16 View Post
    Hi,
    I bought a basket case '04 RXP I already know about the metal clutch washers and ceramic bearings,
    Tell me what you know about these 2 things (metal washers and ceramic bearings) and define an "'04 RXP basket case" that you just bought?..............Jammer 1

Thanks for the help R88ory RXP;

Jammer 1, what I meant by basket case was that the ski was torn apart for a top deck repaint, paint work wasn't finished, so I literally bought an unfinished jetski hull with the engine still inside and two boxes full of miscellaneous stuff including intake, exhaust, steering, reverse, battery, and all exterior pieces. So yes, it is a "basket case".

I'm a mechanic by trade, but all of my experience is C-5 Galaxys and F-16s. I bought the ski as a present to myself when I got back from Iraq, but haven't had alot of time to mess with it because we're going through a conversion to a different airframe (MQ-1).

So, now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (training), I want to focus on getting the ski ready for next spring, hence my questions about proper first mods.

+1
    get opas blockoffs so you dont waste time reassembling the opas system.
    otherwise take some pics of just how disassembled your ski is so we can advise further to save you other reassembly time.

+1
    example, if the grate is already off, get a riva grate to replace it.
    if the pump is out get a new impeller/wear ring to put in before you reasemble.
    theres alot of misc stuff that has to go back into ski, rectifier, etc that might or might not be in the hull or boxes...
    you got another ski you can look at to aid reseembly?
    or a buddy who has done this before,just some of the hardware alone can be confusing if its just all piled into a box...
    what bolts go where etc.

luckily, the engine, pump, and most electrical harnesses were assembled already. It's already got the block-off plates installed, and the water box was deleted. I am in Vegas and the ski is in Houston but I might have some pictures saved on photobucket. I will post them up tonight after work.

How many people keep the reverse? I have all the pieces except for the connecting cable.

+1
    welcome to the forum jetmechf16 !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information