Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fairlanex

Help! GIO and now water in oil!!!

After a few unsucessful tries to get my dealer to do anything useful to aleviate the GIO issue, they pulled the exhaust etc off to look into the breather (down underneath the exhaust manifold as far as I can tell) They reckon its OK so took a sample of oil and I sent that off for analysis. I'm sick of them saying the level is due to it not being level when measured etc, and 'Oh its not that bad' fob offs(yeah right- its taking 1.5 litres per 10 hours). Anaysis will tell me how much % is gas after so many hours, indesputable but anyway......

I get the thing back and go for a ride. I idle out of the no wake zone (about 150m) and gun it, it flat spots massively at WOT but if I ease it on it goes but not much power. I can hold it at WOT from idle and it will only do about 2000 rpm at 8 mph.
    My first thought was plugs so I put my spare (new) set in. No difference.
    I rode it for 5 -10 min but it was painful so I went back in. Steam was coming out from under the rear seat so I took it off and it was coming out of the two vents under the rear seat. Something smelled like plastic melting but I couldn't see anything. I thought thhey must have just missed a vac hose or something so I trailered up.
    Then I thought to check the oil level and low and behold its milky like it has loads of water in it.

Any thoughts or suggestions - could they have mixed up a hose or two and fed the motor water?
    Am I right thinking that even if they drain and flush the oil it will still have the possibility of being internally damaged by the salt water (its saturday and we have a long week end so it will be tuesday before anything happens)
    The retards at my dealer have never even worked on a jetski before

Kawasaki are saying they will re ring it if the GIO is really bad, anyone had success with a re ring???

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    If they removed the exhaust, sounds like they didnt replace the exhaust gaskets with new ones, I had that problem when I put mine back together, I had a water leak in the exhaust system from not putting new gaskets in.....................

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    If they removed the exhaust, sounds like they didnt replace the exhaust gaskets with new ones, I had that problem when I put mine back together, I had a water leak in the exhaust system from not putting new gaskets in.....................

+1

Didn't have this problem, But did have water leaking in my exhaust. Just got done changing out the gaskets. Not to difficult to DIY.
    Last edited by Scott; 05-03-2008 at 08:27 PM.

Fairlanex

new gaskets

They 'should' have used new gaskets because I waited 2 weeks for them to arrive but even if water was leaking from the exhuast how would it get into the oil? and why would it run so bad?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    I got water down into my cylinders when I had a leak, it could be leaking into the cylinders, If I was you I would pull the plugs and make sure there isnt any water in there, if there is remove all plugs and turn the engine over till none comes out, then fog it real good with wd40 or some thing like it.................

Fairlanex
    Well it went to the dealer today after I took a sample of oil. I also found that one of the hose clamps on the blue flexible exhaust section wasn't done up so water was squirting inside the hull on throttle.
    They also reckon that some air intake hose had come off and was sucking against the inside of the hull causing it to run bad. i wonder if it was sucking water from inside the hull too??? Does anyone know if this is possible?
    I don't want this thing back now, GIO issue has not been resolved and now water in my motor. could the water in the motor cause problems down the track? The dealer won't even give me a price to trade it in on a new08

Quote Originally Posted by fairlanex View Post
    ...The dealer won't even give me a price to trade it in on a new08
    Yes, I found out the same thing. If your ski has the gas in oil problem, no dealer will take it in on trade. Yet Kawi continues to deny any documented case of GIO in any Ultra anywhere in the world. Its funny how a non-existent problem makes the Ultra non-tradeable.

People tend to forget that the dealer and kawi are two differant entities. Just because a dealership sells kawi's doesn't mean that they are "Kawi." Blue, when you say once a ultra has the gio "feature" no one will take it in on trade. How do they know it has gio? How are "they" tracking this? Maybe try and trade at another dealer that doesnt know the history. Kinda dirty but since it is still under warranty; if a dealer takes it in on trade and then has a problem they have more leverage towards "kawi" and will get "kawi" to pay for getting it fixed properly. After working at Honda dealerships most of my adult life as a tech i know that the tech and dealership have a whole lot to do with...."if and when a problem gets fixed, how it gets fixed" and so on. The tech and service dept at the dealership know this and its up to them to word things "customer friendly" or not when dealing with corprate "Kawi" so things get handled certain ways under certain circumstances. As i see it blue you could also approch kawi (both the dealer and corp. kawi about the saftey issue and should have pretty stong leverage to trade in on a new one if you, after your problems, would still want to deal with kawi. and ride an ultra 250x.
    Last edited by halfassjack; 05-06-2008 at 12:55 PM.

HAJ, I think that many PWC dealers log all repair records into a central data bank accessible to anyone in dealer network. This allows the warranty holder to have ski serviced or repaired anywhere in the country. It also means that any dealer can easily access full repair history. (On a side note, whenever any dealer hooks ski up to KDS, Kawi HQ gets a copy of all data generated).

I cant see many dealers taking a ski on trade that has any mechanical problem that cant be easily fixed. Dealer cant pass a problem ski from one customer to another if it values its reputation. Also, I live in a smallish community and I dont want to have to be ducking behind the produce section when I see the guy who bought my problem walkin in the grocery store!

You are right that good dealer (and Ive got that) will try to work some kind of solution in 3 way conversation with customer and manufacturer. I have not given up hope for that. I still dont think the Ultra can be beat when its running right. I just need to be patient and keep my powder dry and your thoughtful comments will help me do just that.

Blue

I commend you on your ethics...not many people have them any more. Just keep a level head (like i know you will) and i'm sure things will work out....just keep at Kawi because they are the ones responsible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information