Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    SkiOnDaBrain
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Owasso, OK
    Posts
    118

    Broken Bolt in Shoe!

    I just installed the pump plug kit and shoe on Thur night. Well I went out to the garage to retorque the shoe bolts a bit. One of them broke off! According to the torque wrench i was not overtightening it but the damn thing broke. Am i screwed? Geeze this is all i need.


  2. #2
    txgp1300r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas , Texas
    Posts
    3,382
    +1
    165
    You can change the bracket inside the hull...or remove bracket ,tig weld a tit in the broken bolt using a 309L rod ,tig a nut to the tit, dab a little wax on it, let cool for about 3 min ,then wrench it out....simple ( bolt is kinda small for e-z out)

  3. #3
    yami_rida#26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cayman Islands
    Posts
    2,112
    Quote Originally Posted by txgp1300r View Post
    You can change the bracket inside the hull...or remove bracket ,tig weld a tit in the broken bolt using a 309L rod ,tig a nut to the tit, dab a little wax on it, let cool for about 3 min ,then wrench it out....simple ( bolt is kinda small for e-z out)
    if it's sticking out far enough just unbolt the whole pump shoe from the hull and you may be able to take it out with needle nose plyers it worked for me..

  4. #4
    SkiOnDaBrain
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Owasso, OK
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by yami_rida View Post
    if it's sticking out far enough just unbolt the whole pump shoe from the hull and you may be able to take it out with needle nose plyers it worked for me..


    Yeah but i just installed it with 4200 and the PPK. Can't i use an Easy Out and get it out of there? My buddy is a mechanic at American Airlines and is coming over tomorrow. He uses Easy Outs out the time and says that he can get it out. The stuck bolt is a 10mm and i used the Blue Threadlocker when i put it in. Think he will be able to get it out?

  5. #5
    yami_rida#26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cayman Islands
    Posts
    2,112
    Quote Originally Posted by emcewin View Post
    Yeah but i just installed it with 4200 and the PPK. Can't i use an Easy Out and get it out of there? My buddy is a mechanic at American Airlines and is coming over tomorrow. He uses Easy Outs out the time and says that he can get it out. The stuck bolt is a 10mm and i used the Blue Threadlocker when i put it in. Think he will be able to get it out?
    Oh i didn't see that you used 4200 and threadlocker but let us know if you get it out.

  6. #6
    Happily Self-Employed WFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    12,801
    +1
    450
    Probably going to need a new bracket.

    Bummer, but it could be a lot worse.

  7. #7
    txgp1300r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas , Texas
    Posts
    3,382
    +1
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Probably going to need a new bracket.

    Bummer, but it could be a lot worse.
    very true...the only ez out that has ever worked for me is the short multi fluted ones that snap-on sells

  8. #8
    SkiOnDaBrain
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Owasso, OK
    Posts
    118
    Okay i still haven't tried to remove it yet. If i have to replace the bracket, is it possible to without removing the shoe?

  9. #9
    txgp1300r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas , Texas
    Posts
    3,382
    +1
    165
    yes

  10. #10
    SkiOnDaBrain
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Owasso, OK
    Posts
    118
    Well I got lucky this time. My buddy used an easy out and had no trouble at all. Now i know that my torque wrench means business with one click. For some reason i thought it was 3.


    Here's a pic of the removed bolt from the shoe....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nicework.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	71736  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How to DIY fill in Shoe bolt holes:
    By Pale Rider in forum Yamaha How To & FAQs
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 09:49 AM
  2. how to replace broken sponson bolts in the hull?
    By himal2tin in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 10:36 PM
  3. broken bolt in sponson
    By southside002 in forum Yamaha How To & FAQs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-04-2008, 06:19 PM
  4. Broken bolt in trim ring
    By yami_rida#26 in forum Yamaha How To & FAQs
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 05:39 PM
  5. broken bolt in ride plate
    By skoepp in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 08:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •