Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Re-installing exhaust manifold question

Fired my ski up today in the garage after putting in the CC breather kit and had a leak at the exhaust manifold. Several questions:
    1) I reused my original gaskets with 1211 - are people having any problems with this? Should I get new gaskets. I put a thin layer of 1211 on the gasket - maybe not enough? What are some techniques for putting gasket sealer on gaskets?
    2) I think my main problem was getting the bolts torqued correctly - if I'm using the Craftsman 12MM offset box wrench on those hidden bolts, how tight can I go? Is there any risk of snapping a bolt with that wrench assuming I'm not an olympic bodybuilder? Can they be too tight (mine weren't)? How is everyone tightening these?

Thanks agian,
    Randy

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Did you pay attention to the orientation when removed and put back same way?

I suggest new ones at this point. I would only reuse once - if that - depending on condition.

Use torque wrench on sample, then use your wrench to get the "feel" how much of an athelete you need to be to get'er done right.

+1
    I reused my gaskets when I installed my breather kit. I won't reuse them again. After Harry had a water leak when he reused his, I got worried and orderd a new set of exhaust gaskets. I'm glad I did. When I pulled the manifold, I noticed some evidence of a small leak beneath 2 of the exhaust ports. Luckily, it leaked out and not in. I also couldn't figure out why I had a few small spots of surface corrosion on top of the supercharger. It looks like I probably had a small leak on the joint where the upper part of the manifold meets the elbow section that goes down into the waterbox.
    Jimmy

+1
    I had leaks on the reused gaskets and ordered all new. Make sure the bolts are torqued correctly. I know somoe on the header are impossible to torque, but the rest torque.

Jason

You guys crack me up, $400 for the breather kit and then skimp on the gaskets that are like $40 at most.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blownhotrodder View Post
    You guys crack me up, $400 for the breather kit and then skimp on the gaskets that are like $40 at most.
    They are metal gaskets...no prob once over if come off clean, use the appropriate type sealant, and keep the orientation proper. I'm sure you'll get new ones in advance and that's great - but you'll see once you pull yours off and decide what you will do with your crankcase vent situation. Have some mild scotch brite handy

I pulled mine to check crankcase tube for silicone and decided gaskets were ok for round two with proper sealing....no leak. I also have a new set in hand for my latest mod of converting to '08 configuration.
    Last edited by earthshaker; 05-03-2008 at 10:45 PM.

Im just bustin on you guys. I actually pulled all my stuff tonight, still arent for sure which cc vent system im gonna go with. The 08 setup is looking pretty good.......and cheaper. What is everyone else doing? R&D or 08 setup?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    After all this work Ive done, I have come to the conclusion if you block off the tube on the bottom of the stock catch can shouldnt that relieve the GIO problem? as it drains back into the oil pan.........just empty the stock catch can from time to time?

+1
    Harry, all this jazz about the crankcase tube, R&D kit, blocking the factory can bottom, etc.... I mean i really wonder....I have not had my valve cover off, but i would figure that there are plenty of galleys heading to the pan.

So why not run tubing from crank fitting directly to intake or other separator direct as well as capping the factory bottom?

I have not totally analyzed this yet, but seems doable - less a big mess if you get the boat upside down.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blownhotrodder View Post
    Im just bustin on you guys. I actually pulled all my stuff tonight, still arent for sure which cc vent system im gonna go with. The 08 setup is looking pretty good.......and cheaper. What is everyone else doing? R&D or 08 setup?
    Have new gaskets in hand?

I'm going with '08 setup. Will have it fabbed up tomorrow so long as i can find my stainless rod!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information