How to tell if the VTS is working or not?

Sorry i am new to this seadoo thing. I just brought a GSX 96 seadoo. How can u tell if it works or not? Can u just start it up on the trailer and move the vts to see if it goes up and down. Would it not work if it doesn't start and if u just put the key in. So what does the variable trim do anyways? I know it goes up and down, but what is best to set it at? Any comment will be appreciated thanx.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxpx2008 View Post
    Sorry i am new to this seadoo thing. I just brought a GSX 96 seadoo. How can u tell if it works or not? Can u just start it up on the trailer and move the vts to see if it goes up and down. Would it not work if it doesn't start and if u just put the key in. So what does the variable trim do anyways? I know it goes up and down, but what is best to set it at? Any comment will be appreciated thanx.
    You can do both, put the key in or start it. if you start it. start the ski first then turn the hose on. The trim is for how you want to ride. For instance, if you are in rough chop put the trim down to keep the nose in the water. On glass, trim it up about 3/4 to get optimal top speed. If your out jumping wakes trim it up all the way and let it ride. don't worry once you get to ride it you'll figure it out. Its all about prefernce, it up to you on how you want to ride.

+1

how variable trim works

+1 , Variable trim helps change the attitude of the boat in the water.

* when the trim is all the way up, the steering nozzle is pointed up which in turn will lift the nose of the ski up more. Too high of a setting can cause the ski to bounce [porpoise]. in flat water you can adjust this up to the point where the ski rides smooth with no to minimal porpoising.

* when the trim is all the way down, the steering nozzle is pointed downwards which in turn will push the nose of the ski down more. when it is will the way down, the ski will tend to run a bit slower 1-2 mph in speed due to the extra hull drag in the water. this setting is used as mentioned above when the water is rough and choppy to help keep the boat planted more in the water.

hope this helps

+1
    vts should work if you just press the start button to "wake up" the ski
    dont even start it, dont even put the lanyard on. just press start.
    then press the VTS up and down switch, havwe a friend look at the steering nozzle at the rear of the ski, when you presss up it should move up, down should move down. "wake up " mode only lasts about 20 seconds. just press start again to keep checking.
    btw never leave the VTS set all the way up or down, it can get stuck at those positions. after you are done riding, trim to the middle and leave it there until your next ride.
    check the VTS shaft that makes the nozzle go up and down, theres a rubber accordion boot on it, make sure the boot is not cracked/ dried out.

Thanx for all your help guys. I learned a lot on this forum.

I hate things that don't work! SearayEX12's Avatar
    One thing I like to do is lean a caulk or silicone tube against the rear rubrail from the nozzle. Then press the up and down buttons and you can see the caulk tube lift and fall.

+1
    Here is a good overview over the Variable Trim system

http://www.sea-doo.net/techarticles/vts/index.html

Thread Information