+1

Offshore Riding and Mother Ocean...

This was an organized ride to Catalina island, the comments reinforces PWC as the 'enemy' of mother ocean and its creatures.....but the fact is that life moves on, whales can dive, people can alter course and its ok to whale watch which I also enjoy, but there is still interaction, just different levels, and yes we do need to keep a watch at all times and not disturb or disrupt ocean creatures of any kind, give way...slow down, alter course if needed.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RXaBECcq2wg&feature=related

+1

Whales Mating and Scientist explains whales will move away from PWC on surface!

I have been to South Africa 5 times and witnessed while on the water and from shore the mating 'dance' from large whales on the Atlantic side. I will tell you from what I witnessed, it looked like rape, it was hectic, aggressive and it appeared to me to be a beating..but maybe sex is like that, in appearance...LOL Anyhow, my impression was that it appeared to be brutal, I kept a safe distance away watching from binoculars then called a friend on a cell phone to ask in my ignorance if this whale perhaps was trapped in a net and fighting..he said with a laugh 'No Shawn they are probably mating'. "OH". Yeah I felt a bit dumb...it was funny. Anyhow this description on this youtube image of something a little less than what I witnessed says that whales will move away from you if they want. So how can the whale boat youtube image think they are going to protect a whale from anything if they know what they are doing, that sounds ignorant like my own projections...it is what we want it to believe, or it is what it is. I'm sick of the constant prejudice against PWC's. And I do believe in enforcement of the abuse of rules, just like in vehicle operations, abuse you lose.
    Shawn

Yep - 140 tonnes of blue whale going at it. Of course, it's a love story with a woman at the centre and two males fighting for her attention.

The video was shot during a scientific expedition (there are two boats on the St. Lawrence licensed for this). The two whales concerned have been known to the scientists for a little while, but have never fought before. This fight behaviour has added significantly to the understanding of whales and how they interact as a group - it's probabkly the longest fight witnessed and hence provides a bit more data than any other.

The majority of the boat were scientists with two paying passengers to fund the expedition. It was led by Richard Sears who has been studying whales since the 70s and was responsible for getting blue whales onto the endangered animals list.

As you might imagine, he's about the last person who would want to see whales harrassed. Whales have a great sense of hearing. They can hear you coming about two miles away. If they don't want you around, they will clear off. They can swim at about 30 knots and dive for 20 minutes - this means that if they don't want to be around you, they can dive and be ten miles away before they re-surface - well out of sight and not really trackable. These whales were happy to have us around and showed no signs of elevated stress, i.e. no whales were harmed during the making of this video.
    Category: Pets & Animals

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E_vYKg1U92Y&feature=related

Thread Information