Young Bin Huraiz sets sights on being best in the business

By Alaric Gomes, Senior Reporter
Published: May 04, 2008, 00:12

Dubai: Children his age may be dreaming of exotic holiday locations during the summer. But for the UAE's double jet-ski champion Al Mur Mohammad Bin Huraiz it's a completely different story as he attempts to better his trade and be the best in the business.
"I have set myself a goal and I want to be the best jet-ski racer in the world," Bin Huraiz told Gulf News.

This is no vain boast from the Dubai teenager. Last month, he picked up the overall honours in two categories - the junior ski up to 800cc and ski limited up to 800cc.

In the junior ski up to 800cc category, Bin Huraiz was in command throughout the six rounds of the championships, winning five of them and coming in second in the second round held in Abu Dhabi at the end of December to end the season with a tally of 353 points. That left Omar Abdullah Rashid in second with 325 points and James Wilkinson in third with 243.
Pitted against riders much older than him in the ski limited up to 800cc category, the 13-year-old was again in superb form to end the season as champion with 334 points to his credit. Rashid Al Owais came in overall second with 291 points and Omar Abdullah Rashid was third with 257 points.
Last year, the Dubai International Marine Club (DIMC) started a new class for junior jet-ski riders and Bin Huraiz went on to win the first four rounds, and along with it the UAE National Jet-Ski Championship title. And for the sake of experience, he took part in the Beginners Category and did very well there too.
Saeed Hareb, Managing Director of the Dubai International Marine Club (DIMC), feels the UAE lad has a bright future. "He has all the elements to be a great champion, but what is even more important is the support he is getting from his family and friends," Hareb stated.
"We will definitely support such a talent," he added.