Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is the Stainless wear ring such a good idea??

Last year, using the info i recieved on this site.. i replaced my plastic wear ring with the Stainless wear ring.. Pretty easy job..

The third time out, as i was pulling into the dock, i sucked up two half inch thick twigs into the impeller.. It made a horrible grinding noise and i shut it down right away..

When i got home i was able to use a long needl nose pliers and pull out the large twigs.. but my stainless wear ring is all chewed up..

It still works and i used it the rest of the year like this,, BUT..

Why shouldnt we just keep the plastic CHEAP $40 ones in there that can be flipped and replaced very easily verses spending several hundreds on one that if you get something stuck in there it pretty much ruins???

My boat now has more cavitation that it had when the old,worn out, plastic one was in there.. and the stainless wear ring i installed had to be pressed in the last half of its travel, so getting it back out isnt much of an option as the housing will probobly break to remove it..

Brian
    Last edited by welterracer; 05-04-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by welterracer View Post
    Why shouldnt we just keep the plastic CHEAP $40 ones in there that can be flipped and replaced very easily verses spending several hundreds on one that if you get something stuck in there it pretty much ruins???
    Lots of guys swear by them but I have felt the same way and never upgraded to the ss ring. The plastic ring lasts me about 6 months the replace or flip. The stainless also wears on the prop and needs to be re-surfaced once a year. I'm happy with the plastic one.

When something gets caught in there, something has to wear.. I think i would rather have the ring wear than the impellor or both..

Exactly...and i think this is why the plastic ring is the weak link...it is cheaper to replace than an impeller, i also sticked to the plastic one myself.

damed, just installed an SS ring cause I thought in the long run it'd be more durable for sucking in small stuff like river junk.

Mine also had to be pressed in half way. Made me wonder how to remove if that time came...

After having one for a year, I agree with the opinions here. I got one because I was going through plastic wear rings every five hours. Then I noticed the SS ring was detroying my prop, so I had to get a solid front engine mount. That combination is working well, it keeps a good tight tolerance, but I think if I had just gotten a solid mount from the beginning, I would have been able to run a plastic wear ring just fine. Especially when it was discovered that the plastic ring can be flipped and used again, that is a more attractive option, but then again, I believe BRP's new plastic rings must be pressed in and cut out, so if that's the case, I'm happy to just stick with my stainless ring.

This might be a off the topic question but how do you check your wear ring? I have had my boat since Sept and wondered how you check to see if its that time to change it. Also I don't have alot of tools so how much does a dealer typically charge to replace the wear ring?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fugazi View Post
    This might be a off the topic question but how do you check your wear ring? I have had my boat since Sept and wondered how you check to see if its that time to change it. Also I don't have alot of tools so how much does a dealer typically charge to replace the wear ring?

Thanks
    Is it cavitating out of the hole?? If so, need to replace, if not just ride!! You can also look into the pump with a flashlight and if you see deep grooves it's time to replace.
    Wear rings are about $60 and dealers probably charge 1/2 hour to change them out. At my dealer that would equal about $120.

My stealer quoted me $250 for the wear ring so watch out, looks like it depends on where you go.

when the wear ring was worn on one of my RXP it lost about 5 mph in top end, reversed the same ring and speed came back.

Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    Is it cavitating out of the hole?? If so, need to replace, if not just ride!! You can also look into the pump with a flashlight and if you see deep grooves it's time to replace.
    Wear rings are about $60 and dealers probably charge 1/2 hour to change them out. At my dealer that would equal about $120.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information