Virage Stability/Ride Questions

I took my 02 Virage 700 out for its first real ride since i purchased and rebuilt it. It ran very well, but with me a two pre-teen children onboard it rolled over while idling in very smal waves. I also noticed it seemed like it wanted to lift the frontend way up untill it got on plan at about 22mph. Keep in mind my only other ride's to compare to is an 97 Seadoo Gts and a Tigershark Monte Carlos. Is there something wrong with mine or anything i can do to improve the unstable feeling or wheeling effect like a aftermarker ride plate or sponsons?

+1
    Try this ,Stand on one leg.Six pack of beer in each arm .Extend your arms out to the side. Easy to keep balance ?Yes .now have both six packs in one arm and extend out the side .Not so easy ?
    Ok this is what happens when your ski is loaded and you go slow and the weight moves around . We need to get the balance sorted .Have your teenies stay still on the ski when you go slow.Don't want them looking you in the eye while they talk to you or leaning over the side to put their hands in the water ..Simple answer is to keep the ski under power at all times .If you idle along slowly you have no control of the ski .Use the throttle to keep the ski under control when your going slow .We need to put the load as far forward as possible ,if it feels like its going to tip .revvit up it will straighten up and take off .Having the biggest sitting at the far end of the ski with their hands on the base of the seat doesn't work .Have them as close to you as possible(this may be difficult as teenies don't want to be seen to hug their dads ) and their hands around your waist ,Put one infront of you if you all must ride at once
    Don't overload your ski it is a small 3 seater 700 cc ,be honest with yourself .Are we to heavy ?I have many a person weighing 100 kg + as well as the wife, and the kids are the same ,say that it is for 3 people as the back of the ski appears to enlarge as it bottoms out on the ocean floor whilst the last person is getting (trying to)on .
    I try to be as diplomatic as possible when I explain to them that there is an issue here .I give them the option of thinking about it or I can explain it to them .Some need it explained,most can see where I am heading and agree that 2 is a good idea .
    Or there is the last option .Get a 4 seater and have 3 on it .
    If this isn't your issue .check to see if you have water in your hull .
    I am not trying to offend you here ,but it is a small ski and a small engine .Try 2 up ,sit forward and then see how it goes then .
    Cheers
    Bernie

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1
    Did the ski roll over? or did it just roll till you-all got thrown off-that hull is one of the most stable ever made for a 3 seater? -I at 180lbs can stand on one side of my TX and its as stable as can be. Just like Bernie asked what was the total lbs of all three aboard-was it full of fuel?

Bernie great physics explanation of skis at load and slow speed-2 people on a ski can usually work together when riding, but put three...someone will always throw the balance off and then the other two will go into panic mode LOL
    Last edited by pirate33; 05-05-2008 at 12:11 AM.

+1
    No doubt. If the hull is not full of water it is probably pretty loaded and that 700 will have quite the chore getting your ride on plane.
    We used to overlaod them like that all the time but after awhile we knew to lean forward on acceleration to get the nose down...we usually wound up in the drink but what the hell we were three large adults trying to be kids.

It just seemed odd to me, cause our Tigershark and Seadoo are both smaller hull designs and we ride them three up all the time. Heck on the Virage i can stand on one side and it will barrel roll. It didn't just tip sideways it rolled upside down. My first thought was water in the hull, but when i opened the seat it was dry. I've been riding for about three years with the same kids as passengers, maybe they are just getting too big.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by woollums View Post
    It just seemed odd to me, cause our Tigershark and Seadoo are both smaller hull designs and we ride them three up all the time.
    Heck on the Virage I can stand on one side and it will barrel roll. It didn't just tip sideways it rolled upside down.
    I've been riding for about three years with the same kids as passengers, maybe they are just getting too big.
    Passenger weight capacity of the 2002 Virage is specified as 500 pounds. Total max. load including cargo in the front storage compartment is 565 pounds.

500 pounds is the absolute maximum combined passenger weight, well distributed. 167 pounds average per person. That weight includes the person + PFD + wet clothing.

The center of gravity of the PWC rises as passenger weight increases. More passenger weight means tippier handling.

Center of gravity moves rearward with more passengers. Stability improves as weight moves forward.

The Polaris Virage is a fairly light weight PWC. Only 600 pounds dry. A full passenger load is almost as much weight as the machine itself.

In general, I have found that whatever the passenger count rating for a PWC, the craft will really be comfortable with one less person aboard. Fully loaded, seat space is tight, low speed stability can be more challenging, and everybody needs to keep close together. One less person, and there is some breathing room.

4 person PWC, 3 people works well.
    3 person PWC works well with two people
    A two passenger PWC is really happy with one person, particularly the 1990 era hull designs.

Some 2 person PWC are now built using the hull size of a 3 seater, so those models can handle 2 people fairly well.

The very largest PWC (Genesis, SUV, LRV) really can be comfortable with 4 people, but they are also fairly large hulls.

Passenger weight (and passenger movement on the seat) is the largest handling variable. A full Virage fuel tank is under 100 pounds, but does help keep the nose down, helping reduce the time needed to get onto plane with a heavy passenger load.

Throttle is a real stability enhancer - less throttle means less stability.

Thread Information